Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Birding at ISO 1600 - 3200
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K5 iis Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 1600 
Posted By: daacon, 09-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Thought I would try something different this time. Had the camera on af.c , auto iso (range from 100-3200 previously I always just set it manual) still P mode (I think I tried a few on TAV could not get a fast enough shutter).

Couple of cormorants in flight getting closer to snapping a shot I am happy with. These guys are pretty quick for a large bird.

Click on image twice for larger view

Views: 1,158
09-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good sharpness and colors in the first one.
09-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good effort. You have some good shots there. I don't know why we keep torturing ourselves try to photograph birds sometimes.
09-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Cormorant reflection shots are amazing! Very abstract in appearance. Love the light and the focus is very very good. The first shot is so beautiful.

09-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Good sharpness and colors in the first one.
Thanks Fries yeah technically that's the best of the bunch for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Good effort. You have some good shots there. I don't know why we keep torturing ourselves try to photograph birds sometimes.
Thanks Aussie I know it's a quest

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
The Cormorant reflection shots are amazing! Very abstract in appearance. Love the light and the focus is very very good. The first shot is so beautiful.
Thanks Tess like you said I have been there so often it's nice to catch the same old in a different way on occasion.
09-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thought I would try something different this time. Had the camera on af.c , auto iso (range from 100-3200 previously I always just set it manual) still P mode (I think I tried a few on TAV could not get a fast enough shutter).

Couple of cormorants in flight getting closer to snapping a shot I am happy with. These guys are pretty quick for a large bird.

Click on image twice for larger view

I don't understand why in TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted ,especially if you didn't care if you had a higher iso . Is there a limit on the shutter speed in the TAv mode . I thought that in the TAv mode you picked what ever shutter speed you wanted and you picked the aperture you want and the camera picked the iso it needed . Are you saying the iso was to high for the shutter speed and aperture you wanted in the TAv mode . Would you mind explaining to me why in the TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted . Great photos .
09-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk3user Quote
I don't understand why in TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted ,especially if you didn't care if you had a higher iso . Is there a limit on the shutter speed in the TAv mode . I thought that in the TAv mode you picked what ever shutter speed you wanted and you picked the aperture you want and the camera picked the iso it needed . Are you saying the iso was to high for the shutter speed and aperture you wanted in the TAv mode . Would you mind explaining to me why in the TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted . Great photos .
In TAv mode I believe it depends on what you have your Program Line set at for priority. Great shots overall, I am one those who continues to torture myself with birds in flight too.

09-27-2015, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
In TAv mode I believe it depends on what you have your Program Line set at for priority.
No, in TAv mode, you set whatever aperture and shutter speed you want. The camera uses ISO to set exposure.

I have the same question as pentaxk3user. I don't see why TAv mode would not allow the desired shutter speed, as long as the selected ISO range can accommodate the exposure. If you can do it with M mode, you can do it with TAv.
09-27-2015, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I like them.... TaV is a great thing.
09-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Some very nice shots Dave! No one should be afraid to try wildlife at high ISO values. You can often get very nice shots even as high as 6400 if you need the speed to get them.
I shoot mostly Tav and find it perfect for getting the best speed in low light. It does tend to overexpose in Tav but you can back off the exposure by -1 and it is usually just right.
Almost all my bird shots are at high to very high ISO settings. Up to 3200 is typically no problem to process...beyond that it is iffy, but sometimes you get a really nice shot as high as 6400. It's always worth a try! If you don't try, you get nothing!

Birds...my yard and woods are dark, so high ISO is a must.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651162955781
Regards!