Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Birding at ISO 1600 - 3200
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K5 iis Photo Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta ISO: 1600 
Posted By: daacon, 09-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Thought I would try something different this time. Had the camera on af.c , auto iso (range from 100-3200 previously I always just set it manual) still P mode (I think I tried a few on TAV could not get a fast enough shutter).

Couple of cormorants in flight getting closer to snapping a shot I am happy with. These guys are pretty quick for a large bird.

Click on image twice for larger view

#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6

Views: 791
09-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,921
Good sharpness and colors in the first one.
09-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
AussieTrev's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,285
Good effort. You have some good shots there. I don't know why we keep torturing ourselves try to photograph birds sometimes.
09-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member
tessfully's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S. Algonquin, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,850
The Cormorant reflection shots are amazing! Very abstract in appearance. Love the light and the focus is very very good. The first shot is so beautiful.

09-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,831
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Good sharpness and colors in the first one.
Thanks Fries yeah technically that's the best of the bunch for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Good effort. You have some good shots there. I don't know why we keep torturing ourselves try to photograph birds sometimes.
Thanks Aussie I know it's a quest

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
The Cormorant reflection shots are amazing! Very abstract in appearance. Love the light and the focus is very very good. The first shot is so beautiful.
Thanks Tess like you said I have been there so often it's nice to catch the same old in a different way on occasion.
09-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thought I would try something different this time. Had the camera on af.c , auto iso (range from 100-3200 previously I always just set it manual) still P mode (I think I tried a few on TAV could not get a fast enough shutter).

Couple of cormorants in flight getting closer to snapping a shot I am happy with. These guys are pretty quick for a large bird.

Click on image twice for larger view

#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6
I don't understand why in TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted ,especially if you didn't care if you had a higher iso . Is there a limit on the shutter speed in the TAv mode . I thought that in the TAv mode you picked what ever shutter speed you wanted and you picked the aperture you want and the camera picked the iso it needed . Are you saying the iso was to high for the shutter speed and aperture you wanted in the TAv mode . Would you mind explaining to me why in the TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted . Great photos .
09-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Scorpio71GR's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,781
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk3user Quote
I don't understand why in TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted ,especially if you didn't care if you had a higher iso . Is there a limit on the shutter speed in the TAv mode . I thought that in the TAv mode you picked what ever shutter speed you wanted and you picked the aperture you want and the camera picked the iso it needed . Are you saying the iso was to high for the shutter speed and aperture you wanted in the TAv mode . Would you mind explaining to me why in the TAv mode you could not get the shutter speed you wanted . Great photos .
In TAv mode I believe it depends on what you have your Program Line set at for priority. Great shots overall, I am one those who continues to torture myself with birds in flight too.
09-27-2015, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,722
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
In TAv mode I believe it depends on what you have your Program Line set at for priority.
No, in TAv mode, you set whatever aperture and shutter speed you want. The camera uses ISO to set exposure.

I have the same question as pentaxk3user. I don't see why TAv mode would not allow the desired shutter speed, as long as the selected ISO range can accommodate the exposure. If you can do it with M mode, you can do it with TAv.

09-27-2015, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,212
I like them.... TaV is a great thing.
09-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,113
Some very nice shots Dave! No one should be afraid to try wildlife at high ISO values. You can often get very nice shots even as high as 6400 if you need the speed to get them.
I shoot mostly Tav and find it perfect for getting the best speed in low light. It does tend to overexpose in Tav but you can back off the exposure by -1 and it is usually just right.
Almost all my bird shots are at high to very high ISO settings. Up to 3200 is typically no problem to process...beyond that it is iffy, but sometimes you get a really nice shot as high as 6400. It's always worth a try! If you don't try, you get nothing!

Birds...my yard and woods are dark, so high ISO is a must.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651162955781
Regards!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, iso, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-30 banding noise, aka vertical lines at ISO 1600 and up qwertyazerty Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 08-13-2012 03:48 AM
I am getting a lot of noise at ISO 800 and ISO 1600.... Abstract Pentax K-5 19 11-30-2010 10:48 AM
Ilford Delta 3200 - shoot at 800-1600, develop at 1600? dugrant153 Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 15 11-08-2010 02:27 AM
K10D at ISO 1600 Canada_Rockies Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 01-02-2008 06:04 AM
K10D at iso 1600 Kemal Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 10-21-2007 12:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top