Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hiking in the Snowy Range, Wyoming
Lens: Samyang 35mm F1.4 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM

All of the recent floods has nearly cut off mountain access from the whole of northern Colorado. Needing to get my mountain fix and a little photography in on the side, I headed up to Wyoming for the day. The Snowy Range is a mountain range in southeast Wyoming, about 30 miles to the west of Laramie. These mountains rise abruptly from the high plains and are nearly all BLM or national forest, so there are a lot of areas open for exploring. Yesterday I decided to head for the peaks though and the trails that weave through the alpine lakes and boulder fields.

Another reason for wanting to get to the mountains is to try out a medium format film camera I got over the weekend, a Mamiya RB67 Pro S. I've been wanting to get into film for a while, and what better way than with 6x7 medium format! I might add a few photos from that camera later once I get my developing chemistry in (I'll be developing and enlarging in my own darkroom soon!)

On to the photos. The day was very overcast with rain and sleet falling throughout. It was just what I needed though, can't be away from the mountains for week or more without getting itchy

It's already fall above timberline. The grasses and brush are all reds and yellows.

Thought I'd post a couple photos of my new camera as well. It is very different shooting with it, but I really think I'm going to like it! Looking through that large waist level finder was somewhat of a revelation, coming from looking through a small viewfinder all these years.

I got this whole setup for $150.00 off ebay. SOOO cheap to get into medium format film photography now.

Thats it! Like I said, I am getting my chemicals in today. I might be able to process the film and scan it in a couple of days, then post a few photos from the medium format camera.
Views: 1,359
09-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous mountains shots CJ and very cool camera have fun.
09-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fourth and fifth really show the rugged beauty of this mountain range. Very well done!
09-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice hike and fine pictures

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I might add a few photos from that camera later once I get my developing chemistry in
I look forward to them!

09-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Gorgeous mountains shots CJ and very cool camera have fun.
Thanks! Yeah, I am going to have a LOT of fun with the new camera. It is very different shooting when you only have 10 chances to get it right per roll of film! It really makes you slow down and wait for the right light.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
The fourth and fifth really show the rugged beauty of this mountain range. Very well done!
Thank you. It is a rugged mountain range. There are many great trails that take you above timberline and lots of boulder fields to weave through.

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Nice hike and fine pictures

I look forward to them!
Thanks!
09-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a few more photos

I finished developing my first roll of film ever last night! It is also the first roll of film out of the Mamiya RB67. I am hoping to get an enlarger in a few days, so I can try my had at printing as well. This could become a serious addiction

For those interested, the film is 120 roll film Delta 100. I developed it in Xtol 1:1 and fixed it using TF-4

Now I just need to get an enlarger and some photo paper. I don't have a negative scanner, so for web display, I'll either scan a print, or set up to photograph the negative with my D600 and a Takumar 50mm F4 Macro lens.

Any prints actually made from any negatives will either be optically printed (enlarged) or drum scanned, then ink printed.