Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Caution... Alligators!!!
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 03-27-2008, 01:08 PM

At the hot springs we were at they had this pen with three alligators in it.. They were pretty cool.. Here are some of the pics I got of them.. 6 in all... Enjoy...

This guy was the biggest.. he was about 10 ft long...

Then there were two smaller females in the pen as well.. 8 and 6 ft long...

Views: 2,575
03-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Really nice shots. 1 and 5 are my favorite.
I hope you didn't get too close.
derm
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #3

1 is so sharp. nice pics!
03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the one where that gator has a fish in his mouth. There at least he tries to look somewhat scary , but actually grins. How do I get a feeling that this one is just like a friendly oldster..

03-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks can be decieving..

QuoteOriginally posted by dermc Quote
Really nice shots. 1 and 5 are my favorite.
I hope you didn't get too close. derm
Thanks Derm... There was a fence between us and the alligators.. It was a chain link plus chicken wire.. I had to find some rocks to stand on so I can get my camera above the chicken wire... to get a clear shot!!! Glad you like them..

QuoteOriginally posted by akmalnuernberg Quote
1 is so sharp. nice pics!
Thank you.. I was a bit worried about the sharpness when I first took them because of the steam from the hot springs made a couple of them hazy but when I boosted the contrast a bit it took that steam right out of it.. So that was really cool!!

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like the one where that gator has a fish in his mouth. There at least he tries to look somewhat scary , but actually grins. How do I get a feeling that this one is just like a friendly oldster..
I don't know Georg.... I think that smile is a just a teaser as in .. welcome to my web.. said the spider to the fly... he is says.. welcome to my cage you yummy human.. I was perfectly happy on the opposite side of the fence...
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great series Kim. Trust you had your 80-200 zoom on your camera and weren't too near that wire when you were balancing on the rocks.

Paul
03-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kim, your photos should be shown to anyone who says that you have to shoot Canon or Nikon to get great shots. Your colors are always very nice and the images are sharp. These are no exception.

Where the heck did you find alligators around here? Looks like a place I need to visit.

03-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent series - nice detail - great subjects and well done Kim !
03-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Igilligan

These are fun. My little girls were uhing and ahing... We all liked the shot with the fish in his mouth. And the first one is really sharp with good contrasts.
These are even better in my eye when I looked and saw you shot them at ISO 1600... Did you choose an Iso that high because of the clouds or the movin' gators?
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Super shots. That second from the end is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
03-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I agree great shots Kim. Sharp and close up, Well done!
Title (maybe) "Oh, what lovely teeth you have, my dear!"
03-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great series Kim. Trust you had your 80-200 zoom on your camera and weren't too near that wire when you were balancing on the rocks. Paul
Yeppers I did have my 80-200. and I was right next to the wire fence. The little area they were is really wasn't that big and the guy fed them right inside the fence.. luckily I am a bit tall so it didn't take much to get my lens over it...

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Kim, your photos should be shown to anyone who says that you have to shoot Canon or Nikon to get great shots. Your colors are always very nice and the images are sharp. These are no exception.
Thank you so much Dave for the kind words.. You made my day!!! PM sent with info on where the alligators are..

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
These are even better in my eye when I looked and saw you shot them at ISO 1600... Did you choose an Iso that high because of the clouds or the movin' gators?
I did choose the ISO for the reason of the cloudiness.. I usually set it to 800 but wanted to see how they came out with 1600.... You never know until you try!! right!!

Glad you and your girls enjoyed them.. there were fun to take.. My son was helping me by telling where they were and which ones were posing for me!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Yes, I agree great shots Kim. Sharp and close up, Well done!
Title (maybe) "Oh, what lovely teeth you have, my dear!"
That is a better title Bruce!!! I wish I would of thought about that one.. lol..

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.. I am glad that you enjoyed them..

Kim
03-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Really nice shots of an interesting subject. If you want to see really big wild ones, come on down we have millions of them. and they just bask in the sun along side the road.
03-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks anyway...

QuoteOriginally posted by 2many Quote
Really nice shots of an interesting subject. If you want to see really big wild ones, come on down we have millions of them. and they just bask in the sun along side the road.
Ha... !!! Thanks anyway 2many... I will stick with the ones safely behind a fence...!! LOL The big boy in these shots was plenty big enough...

I couldn't imagine seeing one twice his size... If that happened (without the safety of fence) I would definatley put my shake reduction to work!! LOL

Glad you enjoyed the pics... Have a GREAT day.. Kim