Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Chicakamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park
Lens: Tamron 18-200mm Camera: K-30 Photo Location: CCNMP 
Posted By: gjtoth, 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM

No military park would be complete without the cannons. CCNMP has over 200 of them throughout the park. One of my learning points was that these guns were hand-placed by the veterans of the battle a couple of decades after the war. The carriages, for the most part, are replicas. But, the guns themselves are authentic.

There were two types of guns used during this period. Smooth-bore and rifled. The smooth bore was less accurate and had less range. The rifled gun put a spin on the projectile making it much more accurate and giving it a greater range.

Example of a rifled gun. The rifling components are called, for obvious reasons, "grooves" and "lans"

Example of a smooth bore. When enemy troops would get into close quarter range, they would load the guns with "grape shot", making the piece a giant shotgun. When they ran out of grape shot, they would load with rocks, sticks, and pretty much anything they could get their hands on that would fit down the barrel.

Also used during this period were solid shot and shells. The shell explodes over the enemy troops sending hundreds of pieces of shrapnel in all directions. Solid shot was like shooting an iron bowling ball into the enemy lines. Most times solid shot was not very effective because the troops could see them coming and step aside. However, they still produced their fair share of casualties on those that were paying attention. This is the effect of solid shot on a 6-pounder Napoleon.

Views: 852
09-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thank you for explaining the two types of cannons.
09-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Thank you for explaining the two types of cannons.
Sure thing.
09-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Been there in my youth (Nashvillian), and good to see the photos and read your comments. This is a big year for Civil War history. Major photo exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC that anyone should see if they can make it. It is comprehensive, big, and deeply moving--hard to know how to describe it. See it if you can, at least look on line.

09-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Been there in my youth (Nashvillian), and good to see the photos and read your comments. This is a big year for Civil War history. Major photo exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC that anyone should see if they can make it. It is comprehensive, big, and deeply moving--hard to know how to describe it. See it if you can, at least look on line.
I'll make a point of it. Thanks.
09-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great photos Gary - especially like the lines in #1, and some of the unique angles in the detail shots.

Also great to see you made it to SE Tennessee - hope you'll get here to NE Tennessee one of these days soon!
09-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Great photos Gary - especially like the lines in #1, and some of the unique angles in the detail shots.

Also great to see you made it to SE Tennessee - hope you'll get here to NE Tennessee one of these days soon!
Thanks, Mole! Lately, most of my excursions have been spur of the moment with not a lot of plan-ahead stuff. I really like shooting the reenactments and the living history portion. As you know, there's a LOT of that all over most of the South. With 2012-2015 being 150th anniversaries of many of the battles and actions, it's brought out a lot more reenactors than normally attend thus making the events more true to life. I remember attending some of the battle reenactments 25-30 years ago, and it was more or less a firearms demonstration by today's standard. Just a few guys on the line and spread out a LOT.

09-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great narrative and good series. Man sure glad I was not involved in any of those battles or any battle for that matter.
09-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting historical subject.. fine perspectives employed ... well done, dave m
09-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are great compositions, Gary. I especially like 1 and 4.

Jer
10-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great narrative and good series. Man sure glad I was not involved in any of those battles or any battle for that matter.
If you've never been to a large reenactment, you owe it to yourself. It really puts things in perspective. Most people don't realize just how close the opponents were to each.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
interesting historical subject.. fine perspectives employed ... well done, dave m
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
These are great compositions, Gary. I especially like 1 and 4.

Jer
Many thanks, guys.