Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

I Feel Rupert's Pain
Posted By: Sailor, 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM

A little over a week-and-a-half ago, we discovered evidence of mice in our garage, an issue with which we've dealt successfully before by using over-the-counter rodent killing food and making sure that there are no accessible food sources available to tempt the little devils - a process we repeated last week. About the same time, I noticed that the oil temp gauge in my little black hot rod (pictured below in happier days) was not working, but - dunce that I am - I never made the connection (no pun intended) between the two events. On Wednesday, I took my car to our BMW dealer, expecting a simple warranty repair, but of course the car was not at fault. Rather, the mice had built a nest within the engine area and chewed at the wiring - repair of which involves considerable time and effort amounting to a bill of almost $1400.00.

Now the good news: because I carry full comprehensive on our cars, the repair was completely covered; my insurance company (USAA) contacted the dealer (who had sensibly photographed the damage) for the repair costs, for which I will be compensated by direct deposit. I picked up the car yesterday.

Since we implemented our preventative steps in the garage, we've seen little further evidence of activity; nevertheless, a professional exterminator is coming Monday to provide more fire power. At first, I smiled about the demise of the creatures that inflicted the damage to my car until I remembered Starbuck's famous admonition of Ahab:

"Vengeance on a dumb brute that smote thee from blindest instinct! Madness! To be enraged with a dumb thing, Captain Ahab, seems blasphemous."

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 09-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Views: 2,122
10-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
So far, it seems OK, brother Bob - my main concern right now is to avoid having to put a front plate on it .

I'll tell you buddy, I do respect a man that has priorities.
As always, we remain on the same wavelength, brother Bob.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Call me Ishmael but Starbuck was clueless Jer.

To paraphrase Ahab something like.

"I spit my last breath at thee ........thou dammed mouse.

Seems a bit more appropriate.

Glad there was no serious damage to your ride or pocketbook.

Tom G
Ya' know, Tom. I'm thinking Starbuck wasn't a car guy .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A fun story to be sure Jer.Hopefully all problems will be "Small"--capn zap
Hey Capn - thanks much, my friend. Compared to the issues some folks are dealing with, this one not just small, but minuscule.

Jer

10-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hate to do this, but Otis insisted......If you get one of these, he says his Army Squirrels prefers the "Chocolate" colored model......but will gladly eat any other flavors too!
Amazon.com: Pest A Cator Plus 2000 Electromagnetic/Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller For Larger Areas: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks Jer....I am looking forward to getting back in that little Toy Car TT, but it looks like it may be a while!

Regards!
10-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I hate to do this, but Otis insisted......If you get one of these, he says his Army Squirrels prefers the "Chocolate" colored model......but will gladly eat any other flavors too!
Amazon.com: Pest A Cator Plus 2000 Electromagnetic/Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller For Larger Areas: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks Jer....I am looking forward to getting back in that little Toy Car TT, but it looks like it may be a while!

Regards!
Recover quickly, my friend - our two SILVER CARS may want to get together - perhaps true love will emerge and we'll have sufficient offspring to start our own dealership - I'm thinking: RS* Audi-Porsche as the corporate name and our advertising slogan can be: "If you don't buy one of our cars, you're a moron." (Keep in mind I'm a scientist not an ad guy).

Seriously, what's the prognosis at this stage?

Jer

*Rupert-Sailor Audi-Porsche - "when you buy here, you're fast not last."