Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The fruits of...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 01-17-2007, 12:24 PM

someone's labor captured at market.
The overhead windows allowed a bit of sunlight to strike the produce.

A still life, if you will.

C&C Appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Views: 1,829
01-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very smooth, soothing colours. Now why am I suddenly hungry?

Julie
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

First of all, I like the shot. I'm a sucker for still lifes like this, except I can never visualize them. You obviously have a good eye for it. Now, since you've asked, I'll give you my totally amateur opinion/critique. (BTW, you've seen my shots so that should give you some idea of how little I know about it, and how much my advice is worth.)

Nice framing and colors. The overhead light was a little harsh since you've really got a wide dynamic range going on here. The lights are almost too light, but the darks are almost completely dark. Not sure you could've done much else about it. I wonder how a little bit of flash bounced off the back would've done.

I like the idea and your composition. If only the light would cooperate for you.
01-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The natural overhead light selectively highlighting the produce while leaving the background dark gave me the opportunity to isolate the colors and textures without including all the background clutter of people's feet, floor tiles, display cases, etc. I am afraid if I used the flash for anything, the picture would have a flatter appearance, be more washed out and possible reveal more of the things I did not want in the composition. Another thing, shooting a flash in this market could have caused me trouble as it would draw unwanted attention to my actions. This is one of those 'takem when you getum' shots, yet it is one of my favorites for a still life.