Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Mandy - Reflections
Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Olympia, WA 
Posted By: alan_smithee_photos, 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM

Hiked in to an abandoned cabin on Budd Inlet just outside of Olympia, WA the other day with Mandy. Had a lot of fun shooting her through the windows, playing with reflections, light and shadow.

K-5 IIs unless otherwise noted.
Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90mm 3.5 SL II

Voigtlander Ultron 40mm 2.0 SL II

Views: 2,661
10-02-2013, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some interesting effects, can't believe no one has commented, I like the 3rd and the 2nd last one the best.
cheers
10-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can't help it but found that ring in her nose a huge distraction.. same as the reflections that obstruct her eyes in few shots.

Otherwise great series - especially love the second from the end ( with reflections on her sides ) - nice expression and nicely captured.

EDIT: After having a second look - I would say number 7 and 8 are also great.

Cheers!

Last edited by manntax; 10-02-2013 at 06:34 AM.
10-02-2013, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I also found the snot ring to be distracting - it spoiled the images.

10-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

creative compositions... b+w / sepia play would be interesting to see as well... dave m
10-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Appreciate the comments. (I was wondering if this one was gonna just pass silently into the archives.)

I admit that I'm not a fan of the septum piercing. The first time we shot I asked in advance if she could remove it (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/214314-people-many-pries...rk-pt-1-a.html). I'd meant to this time but forgot. When I got there I said, "what the hell?" and shot anyway.

After all, we're not talking some hugely contrived studio setting here with someone in character and a particular "look". These of photos of an actual (not imagined or idealized) person and this is how she looks. I think she's beautiful: her face, her lips, her eyes - I think they're exquisite, and her expression has a lovely soulful quality. I can look beyond a piece of jewelry for that. It may even add something (the imperfection making the beauty more striking). But different strokes.

As for the reflections obscuring her eyes or other features, it's intentional (whether or not it's also successful is a matter of opinion ). I like the notion that sometimes things that get "in the way" make a person look more closely. (There's a great story about Roman Polanski making 'Rosemary's Baby'. They were in the editing room looking at a shot framed in a doorway, but you could only see part of the people on the other side - the doorframe hid them. The editor (or producer?) complained but Polanski said "leave it in". On opening night the editor was in the audience and when the scene came on screen he watch the whole audience lean over to the side, to try and see into the doorway.)
10-02-2013, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Full agree Alan - with this balanced approach you cannot go wrong in life The shots are creative - if these reflections worked out in each case its a matter of opinion anyway. The person is real, nice looking and some of these shots are great and full of mood and life.. we all agree that the ring could have been removed if you were to make the best out of her as a model - but in case you wanted to portrait her as a person - the ring is part of her - whether we like it or not

Keep it up!

10-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some interesting images indeed also not a fan of the piercing however it does not ruin the images for me anyway.
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
This lassie (Mandy) is remarkably overdressed by your standards, as demonstrated in your last few outings.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.
10-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #10

Beautiful! I too think the nose ring is a litte distractive.....but just in a few shots where it gets very dominant, like in #4. However, no 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.....all beautiful! Nice work with the reflections. My absolute favorite is #3!
10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thx all!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
This lassie (Mandy) is remarkably overdressed by your standards, as demonstrated in your last few outings.
She's not keen in posing in the altogether, which is fine by me. It's nice to keep it SFW now and then, mix it up a bit, you know?