Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DSLR beginner
Lens: Pentax 1.2 50mm Camera: Pentax K-R 
Posted By: eirik95, 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Hi, some of the first shots Ive ever taken with a proper camera, all manual (old lense used here) cant remember settings though. No photoshop tweeking, because I cant Feel free to comment, criticism is appreciated

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Views: 921
09-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It takes time getting used to MF(there is an indicator inside the viewfinder, a green dot, not the Red indicators, that indicates focus), the focus is off on 3 for sure. The white balance is off on the second shot and it would be nice to get some light on his eyes with either flash or a reflector(on all). You might be able to burn the eyes in post to bring back some of the detail. I don't think bringing up the shadows will be enough. Do you really have a 1:1.2 lens? Or is it a 1:2? Learn how to use Lightroom, or another editor, and shoot RAW.

You're off to a good start. Welcome to the forums.
09-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You really captured the personality of your "furry friend" in each of these, and a lovely soft green background in #3. The garden objects in background of #3 are a bit distracting to me, but I get distracted easily!! Also, white balance looks to be off in #2 - something very easy to fix in post-processing.

Looks like this new camera is in some good hands! Will look forward to seeing more of your images...
09-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice start! As others have said, maybe you had WB set to tungsten for #2? I like the third one a lot. Good color and DOF.
A neat little trick Pentax adds for manual mode is the green button. If you're shooting manual, press the green button, and you'll get a properly exposed image. You can keep that setting or adjust shutter speed and aperture to get the desired effect.
I would have taken a step to the right for #2 to remove the chair (?) in the foreground, but that's just a matter of taste.

10-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
It takes time getting used to MF(there is an indicator inside the viewfinder, a green dot, not the Red indicators, that indicates focus), the focus is off on 3 for sure. The white balance is off on the second shot and it would be nice to get some light on his eyes with either flash or a reflector(on all). You might be able to burn the eyes in post to bring back some of the detail. I don't think bringing up the shadows will be enough. Do you really have a 1:1.2 lens? Or is it a 1:2? Learn how to use Lightroom, or another editor, and shoot RAW.

You're off to a good start. Welcome to the forums.
Thanks Will start shooting more RAW, know about the focus in the third, but I thought the photo itself was really cool. Tungsten in the third, kind of a beginner thing I guess, looked fun The eyes was difficult, will improve. And yes, it is a 1:1.2 lens. Got a bunch of old lenses that my father used when he took pictures
10-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
You really captured the personality of your "furry friend" in each of these, and a lovely soft green background in #3. The garden objects in background of #3 are a bit distracting to me, but I get distracted easily!! Also, white balance looks to be off in #2 - something very easy to fix in post-processing.

Looks like this new camera is in some good hands! Will look forward to seeing more of your images...
Thank you used tungsten in #2, still learning
10-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice start! As others have said, maybe you had WB set to tungsten for #2? I like the third one a lot. Good color and DOF.
A neat little trick Pentax adds for manual mode is the green button. If you're shooting manual, press the green button, and you'll get a properly exposed image. You can keep that setting or adjust shutter speed and aperture to get the desired effect.
I would have taken a step to the right for #2 to remove the chair (?) in the foreground, but that's just a matter of taste.
Figuring out that green button WB was tungsten in #2. Better focus in #3 would have made it great I personally think Thanks for the comment

10-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pretty darn good lot's of good advice above - it's like most things - practice , practice, and then some more practice.