Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Scientologist Protest
Posted By: roentarre, 03-28-2008, 06:39 AM

This series was taken about 2 weeks ago with my friend Joele. (Yes, Dan. I finally post the series )

The images did not have the impact on them and the parade was rather small in size. It was a nice day though. I had fun following by a nice yum cha meal.

Some images to share. (Since I am just sitting at the airport on my own, I will do something to spend time!)

The images are all shot with Fa* 80-200 f2.8 - my biceps has since tripled in size!

Cheers!

Views: 2,590
03-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

You know they will come after you for posting pictures!
03-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's with all the Guy Fawkes masks? I don't know a whole lot about Scientology, except that a lot of actors are getting into it, so that may seem an ignorant question.

Nice series. I'm jealous over the lens used. For me that's the Holy Grail of Pentax lenses.
03-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i half figured the masks were a shot at Eyes Wide Shut, and half to keep the protestors anonymous.

didn't think scientology had warranted protests. interesting....

03-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Real clear shots, great lens but not worth 2000 bucks IMHO.
It's not a Religon it's a scam. They tell you you can learn to move and manipulate thing's with your mind as you learn there belief's. What a pile of....whoeee.. Arn't those masks from the movie V ?
Still nice shots. sorry for the rant.
they tryed to convert me in the 60's... till my parents slapped me in the head. lol
03-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
racinsince55

Funny isn't it. Those who oppose the beliefs of the Scientologists, and call them wrong, will bust their asses selling you what they, themselve, believe.

As the old saying goes. "Those who wish you to be tolerant of their views will rarely be tolerant of yours."
03-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
What's with all the Guy Fawkes masks? I don't know a whole lot about Scientology, except that a lot of actors are getting into it, so that may seem an ignorant question.

Nice series. I'm jealous over the lens used. For me that's the Holy Grail of Pentax lenses.
Because the only thing my generation knows about "bucking" the system is what the glean from Hollywood (they'd have all gotten the idea from "V For Vendetta" a movie where those Guy Fawkes masks play a large role - especially those guys in non-Commonwealth countries) movies...ironically, probably made with a good chunk of Scientologist actors and crew.

I'll tell you this: if you're gonna stick it to the Man™, a good place to start is with your imagination. Ned Kelly didn't nick his helmet design from Brugel or Shakespeare. I'm not a fan of Scientology (really, if you're gonna base a religion on a science fiction author, base it one a good one like William Gibson or Arthur C. Clarke) but, in the parlance of Teh Intartubes, those Guy Fawkes masks are a "massive fail."

Those are excellent shots, though. The second one is a brilliant one. And the colours look a lot better than an equivalent Sigma lens. Wouldn't be outta place in Time.

As for protesting, I'm more a fan of the Molotov-and-bricks school of public displeasure announcement.

03-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I'm not quite sure I understand the whole thing going on here, but the shots are super sharp and the subjects are most interesting. Nice series.
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
I'm not quite sure I understand the whole thing going on here, but the shots are super sharp and the subjects are most interesting. Nice series.
Do a little googling of Lisa Macpherson and the cult of the church of Scientology; it will all become very clear.
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Do a little googling of Lisa Macpherson and the cult of the church of Scientology; it will all become very clear.

Thanks, I do remember reading about that. I guess I didn't realize there was a connection. Thanks for the info.
03-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Romoman Quote
You know they will come after you for posting pictures!
Now you are making me sweat and tremble. I am a buddhist though ...

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote

Dave. I had the same feeing and dream towards this zoom. Maybe it was my initial expectation rather high. So I had my bile against this zoom.

However, the bokeh and contrast can be really really strong using f4 or so. It is rather something you do not see from other zooms ever tried.

Hunting AF and heavy like a tractor. You would know what I mean if you carry it for a 30 minute hike.

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
i half figured the masks were a shot at Eyes Wide Shut, and half to keep the protestors anonymous.

didn't think scientology had warranted protests. interesting....
This was the 2nd gathering. The first meeting had a bigger crowd but a few might have become martyrs...
03-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Real clear shots, great lens but not worth 2000 bucks IMHO.
It's not a Religon it's a scam. They tell you you can learn to move and manipulate thing's with your mind as you learn there belief's. What a pile of....whoeee.. Arn't those masks from the movie V ?
Still nice shots. sorry for the rant.
they tryed to convert me in the 60's... till my parents slapped me in the head. lol
If the weight of the zoom is reduced to 1/3 of original, I would pay for the full price willingly.

Still, most pentax users buy into the system for its low weight kits and superb image rendering. A bit unusual for pentax users to use something so heavy...

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
Funny isn't it. Those who oppose the beliefs of the Scientologists, and call them wrong, will bust their asses selling you what they, themselve, believe.

As the old saying goes. "Those who wish you to be tolerant of their views will rarely be tolerant of yours."
I learnt a lesson from past mistakes. If I were not in the shoes of other people, I would not judge or offer my criticism towards them I learnt that people all had different circumstances and we are all different people.

Just something to see and observe when a crowd was making their voice heard.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Because the only thing my generation knows about "bucking" the system is what the glean from Hollywood (they'd have all gotten the idea from "V For Vendetta" a movie where those Guy Fawkes masks play a large role - especially those guys in non-Commonwealth countries) movies...ironically, probably made with a good chunk of Scientologist actors and crew.

As for protesting, I'm more a fan of the Molotov-and-bricks school of public displeasure announcement.

I know every city in Australia has a protest happening. Every month apparently. The current schedule.

Maybe you could capture some shots to compare the difference like documentary
03-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #13
Igilligan

I have been blissfully unaware of the controversy that surrounds this protest. But the 'young protester' trapped in this old body will of course have to now search the internet to add this to my list of stuff I must keep track of.

Oh, the photographs are wonderful. Someone mention that they would be right at home on the pages of a magazine and I wholeheartedly agree. I dont think I have seen a better photo-journalistic series on the forums...
I was also blissfully unaware of the Fa 80-200 2.8 and now it has also lodged in my brain as something to desire...

Thank you for posting these.... now my brain hurts

How many shots did you take during the protest?... my brain needs to know. thanks
03-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote

Well, after reading about both, I still don't understand the protest. In these photographs, I saw two cards mentioning Lisa McPherson and six evidently complaining about the church collecting money. Since a church has to fund activities somehow, I see nothing wrong with them collecting donations. And I seriously doubt the church holds a gun to anyone's head in an effort to make them donate, so what are these people protesting? As for McPherson, the church was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing and settled with the family assumingly to their satisfaction (otherwise they wouldn't have settled). So, again, what are these people, not involved with the case in any manner, protesting?

stewart
03-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots James.

I love the FA* 80-200 when Marc let me play with his and still have a few great shots from it. I couldn't stand carrying that lens for more than 20 minutes.

Won't even touch the religion button