Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Waterfall Spray Ice Formations
Lens: 100mm macro WR Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: SW Colorado ISO: 80 
Posted By: maxk7dish, 10-05-2013, 07:27 PM

I recently took what are in my opinion some of the best ice macro shots I've ever taken. Ever since I first saw these ice formations around 4 years ago (and no camera with me ) I've returned many times looking for them. They seem only to occur in late spring or early fall, when it is cold enough at night to freeze spray off the falls, but not so cold for the falls itself to freeze (very low volume waterfall), and not so hot that the ice melts before I can get there. Since I don't live near this spot, I've had few opportunities. But finally, about a week ago, I was in the right place at the right time and had the pleasure of huddling in freezing waterfall spray for 4 hours. I don't think I would have come back with these at all if not for Pentax WR design, which was definitely tested to the limit here. There was no avoiding it: to shoot frozen waterfall spray macros, one must be in the spray. I could shoot only a few shots before enough spray collected on my front element, no matter which way the camera faced, to require backing off, drying it off, and repeat. After a few of these sessions, my fingers would be too numb to press the shutter, and I'd have to warm up before continuing. It was pretty miserable, but I was pretty damn happy the whole time anyways . What do you all think? Especially curious to hear your stories of pushing the limits of weather sealing for the sake of a shot.

There are a few more to check out on my photo blog: Waterfall Spray Ice Formations - Max Kudisch Photography | Max Kudisch Photography
Any feedback appreciated
Views: 939
10-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding. I particularly like #3. I admire your dedication and it paid off nicely!
10-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. That third one is great.
10-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks! The 3rd one is actually a 5 image focus stack, and I can't stop looking at this little strip of poor focus transition in the bottom middle.. will have to fix that

10-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very nice series. A pleasure to view.Well done.--charliezap
10-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think this is an awesome post! I like #3 the best, where you can see the ice rind but also with some kind of horizontal structuring to it. I don't know if those horizontal bands are cracks or what, but they are definitely photogenic. Also good to see the 100 mm performed flawlessly in these conditions. I've never pushed mine this hard but it's good to know now that I can.