Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Running girls...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM

This was an attempt to capture and duplicate the older sister running across the pasture with little sister on bouncing her back and both laughing.

A little photoshop fantasy.

C&C appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Views: 3,019
01-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Interesting.
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it's kind of cool. I used to do similar things with prints back before digital, but I stole the idea from someone else. I like this.
01-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is great, Clarence. The colour works well and the pattern is not too confusing.

01-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #5

good idea... the layout definitely achieves a cool effect, but i'm not really sure it conveys running and bouncing. i do like it though.
01-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The conveying of running, bouncing and laughter are tough to bring across unless you use video.

Aside from motion blur, which did not feel appropriate in this case, as still photo captures but a split second of time with everything stopped.

I have done 'out of photo jumps' to convey motion and I would really like to see any other efforts to show action and direction.

Love to learn.

Always experimenting.
01-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
The conveying of running, bouncing and laughter are tough to bring across unless you use video.

Aside from motion blur, which did not feel appropriate in this case, as still photo captures but a split second of time with everything stopped.

I have done 'out of photo jumps' to convey motion and I would really like to see any other efforts to show action and direction.

Love to learn.

Always experimenting.
I agree with all of that. I'm not sure I have any better ideas though.

01-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I see what you're trying to accomplish here, and I like how you've gone about it. Not quite there, perhaps, but getting there! I'm a little bothered by the topmost piece, with the older girl's face cut off below the nose. I wonder if it would work better with one frame including her entire face, above any partial ones, if you see what I mean. So that topmost frame would either show her whole face, or be partly hidden behind one that does. I hope that makes sense! It's rather David Hockney, was that what you were aiming at?

Julie
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I like it, Clarence! It's really nice and very interesting! And also well done!
01-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #10

I was thinking some more about this and there are a couple things which might help better convey the idea of running and bouncing. Assuming you don't want a head-to-toe shot where feet aren't touching the ground, you could shoot from an angle which shows space between the older sister's hands and younger sister's body... when the pair are on the downward half of a bounce and younger sister isn't actually touching older sister's hands. Even if you can capture that though, the separation might not be very clear in a photo... so maybe if you just shoot further from the side you could use the same type of layout you did here to create a sense of separation between big sister's hands and little sister's body?

And the more I look at this post, the more I think it does convey bouncing and running pretty well anyway. Maybe I've been thinking about it too much.
01-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I see what you're trying to accomplish here, and I like how you've gone about it. Not quite there, perhaps, but getting there! I'm a little bothered by the topmost piece, with the older girl's face cut off below the nose. I wonder if it would work better with one frame including her entire face, above any partial ones, if you see what I mean. So that topmost frame would either show her whole face, or be partly hidden behind one that does. I hope that makes sense! It's rather David Hockney, was that what you were aiming at?

Julie
I claim total ignorance about David Hockney and had to Google the name to see if we were even close on treatments. Found out I wasn't aiming toward his methods, just rumaging around in my own head.:ugh:

It is interesting about your choice of framing and top layering. Will have to play some more and put more thought into the assembly. Hadn't thought about these aspects. Thanks.
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Evolution Quote
I was thinking some more about this and there are a couple things which might help better convey the idea of running and bouncing. Assuming you don't want a head-to-toe shot where feet aren't touching the ground, you could shoot from an angle which shows space between the older sister's hands and younger sister's body... when the pair are on the downward half of a bounce and younger sister isn't actually touching older sister's hands. Even if you can capture that though, the separation might not be very clear in a photo... so maybe if you just shoot further from the side you could use the same type of layout you did here to create a sense of separation between big sister's hands and little sister's body?
All I can say about the shot is, you have got to hang around kids more.
Planning a shot is almost impossible because they move so fast.
I'm lucky to get anything that isn't blurred.
Hear the laughter, quick look to see them running, aim, shoot, shoot again, and again and there you stand watching them retreat into the distance, smile on your face at their joy.
You're done with that photo op. It took less time for the shoot than to read your first paragraph.
Open it on the computer and amazingly there is one good one.
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
All I can say about the shot is, you have got to hang around kids more.
Planning a shot is almost impossible because they move so fast.
I'm lucky to get anything that isn't blurred.
Hear the laughter, quick look to see them running, aim, shoot, shoot again, and again and there you stand watching them retreat into the distance, smile on your face at their joy.
You're done with that photo op. It took less time for the shoot than to read your first paragraph.
Open it on the computer and amazingly there is one good one.
I get you completely. I was just thinking out loud.
01-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I like it, it's a very interesting piece of work Clarence
01-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi!

On fragments of photos it was necessary to do a shadow in the general color scale...
Black color does not cheer up!...

The best regards!