Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ghetto Lighting Product Macro
Posted By: k100d, 03-28-2008, 08:23 PM

I did some product photography at home but i don't really have any lighting tools. So i took the picture under a light that's attached to a wall and that way i could get some "top" lighting. using a small desk, i put an old t-shirt to get the white background. then i took a 40w desk lamp and maneuvered it (or held it) in place sometimes with a sheet of paper over it to soften the lighting. i think i should really try to make a lightbox, i'm really enjoying product photography. i must have taken 50+ shots but ended up with very few keepers. pictures taken with my Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 50mm F4 at I believe either F4 or F11, you'll be able to tell by the FOV. minimal PP, only some quick PP from Pentax Photo Laboratory (contrast, sharpness, sensitivty and curves for the car)

comments and (especially) criticisms very welcome.

Last edited by k100d; 05-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Views: 1,649
03-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Last edited by k100d; 05-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.
03-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bump ... so many new photo posts!
i guess product photos aren't that exciting, but any technical comments would be helpful
03-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
McD

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad at all considering the circumstances. I made a quick and simple light box not to long ago using a large cardboard box and various sheets of bristol (sp?) board, in various colors, using a flash on either side. It took very little time to construct and I got awesome reults. You'll get more even lighting using a light from either side diffued rather then one from above. I recommend spending the time on that. And if you dont have any flashes you could get away using two small lamps with high wattage bulbs close to the diffusion. I'm constructing a more rugged lightbox at the moment out of mdf wood, with proper diffusion, sort of a go to for future product shots.