Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K2 portrait
Posted By: davemdsn, 03-28-2008, 11:21 PM

No, not the mountain. From a recent model shoot. He goes by K2.

K20, Tammy 28-75 f2.8, pair of Viv 283s.
Views: 3,448
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am so envious of the work you have produced.

I like the posture being so natural. The muscle texture is impressive. He looks masculine but composed. Wise and prudent.

Pleasure to browse through your work
03-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, James. This was his first shoot and was nervous, but he followed direction well and really wanted to do well. I was happy with the shoot.
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a nice photo Dave, I really do like it,

03-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

This is powerful, moving work!
03-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As with the last shot you posted (the couple), the lighting is exceptional and the subject is first rate. I love the lighting work you have done on the backside (far arm and across the upper chest). It is perfect as it shows the form so well. It seems to add so much dimension and depth to the shot. I take my hat off to anyone that can shot portraits. Your portarit work is definately at the top end of the field.

Thanks for posting it, inspiring us, (and showing us what it looks like when it comes together and really works)
03-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
That is a nice photo Dave, I really do like it,
Thank you, I appreciate that.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
This is powerful, moving work!
Thank you. I have been looking at your "garage studio" work and am inspired to get my garage cleaned up.

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
As with the last shot you posted (the couple), the lighting is exceptional and the subject is first rate. I love the lighting work you have done on the backside (far arm and across the upper chest). It is perfect as it shows the form so well. It seems to add so much dimension and depth to the shot. I take my hat off to anyone that can shot portraits. Your portarit work is definately at the top end of the field.

Thanks for posting it, inspiring us, (and showing us what it looks like when it comes together and really works)
Thank you. This is the same shoot as the couple and I don't think I changed the lights at all from that shot to this one. When it's working I leave it alone. I wish I could leave it set up all the time, but this was done in my living room so my wife makes me take it down when I'm done and I have to set everything back up from scratch the next time. I need to get my garage cleaned up this spring. I hope that I can keep doing work that inspires others. Much of my inspiration comes from this very forum.

03-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, you've done an awesome job with this.
The pose, the lights, the B&W effect, everything's just perfect.
Inspires me greatly.
03-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Totally awesome work, Dave. Between you, Hamid and Chris I'm getting itchy to try some studio setups myself... curse you all.
03-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Inactive Account

This is most inspiring Dave. I am just starting to get gear together to shoot studio portraits, unitl now, I have just used natural light and worked with what I could get. This is a awesome capture.
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Dave, you've done an awesome job with this.
The pose, the lights, the B&W effect, everything's just perfect.
Inspires me greatly.
Thanks Ash. I'm not sure it's perfect. After all these years I am still a student of this art and learn new things all the time. I definitely liked this shot and am happy that others do as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Totally awesome work, Dave. Between you, Hamid and Chris I'm getting itchy to try some studio setups myself... curse you all.
You have put me in very good company. I get a lot of inspiration from Chris, Hamid, and others on this forum. Thank you for the comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
This is most inspiring Dave. I am just starting to get gear together to shoot studio portraits, unitl now, I have just used natural light and worked with what I could get. This is a awesome capture.
Thank you. Controlling light can get addicting. I started out just trying to mimic natural light when natural light wasn't available. Now I experiment with new tricks. Very addicting.
03-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
McD

Very nice lighting, I like the use of shadows to break up the side/back light and the key. Nice and Low key.
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Very nice portrait.

Here I thought you meant the Pentax K2!
03-30-2008, 01:05 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Did the model name himself after a Pentax camera?
03-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Great capture Dave - that is a powerfull image of what appears to be a powerfull man. Very well executed.