Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Eastern Rosella
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 10-13-2013, 02:31 AM

The Eastern Rosella is one of Australia's prettiest parrots.
Views: 985
10-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have got a beauty there
10-13-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
You have got a beauty there
Thanks Bruce! I took the photo a few days ago and only just looked at it today!
10-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one, Rob. They are a beautiful bird. We have mostly pale-headed rosellas here. But we have a pale-headed and an eastern that have paired up. It must be a long-term relationship because I have seen them together for about three years now.

10-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice one, Rob. They are a beautiful bird. We have mostly pale-headed rosellas here. But we have a pale-headed and an eastern that have paired up. It must be a long-term relationship because I have seen them together for about three years now.
I see you're near Warwick. Yes, I used to see the Pale Headed Rosellas in SEQ all the time. Interesting that you have seen an Eastern so far north! I don't know if such a pair would produce viable hybrids?
10-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very colourful birds and well captured.
10-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are on the western slopes of the Herries Range (the last spur off the Great Divide in this region) so we get some of the coast and inland bird distributions. For example, we get a few king parrots (coastal) but more red-winged parrots (inland). I saw a lot more Eastern Rosellas when we were closer to Warwick. One thing I have noticed though is that Eastern Rosellas seem to feed more frequently in trees (as in feeding on wattle seed) but the Pale-headed Rosellas seem to prefer feeding on the ground. My pair seem to produce viable offspring although the colouring is a bit "muddied". The Rosella species is a clade as far as I know, and they are able to interbreed where they overlap but less able to at the extremes.
I have a couple of Pale-headed Rosellas that feed in the front garden most mornings. They are a bit flighty, but I must try to get a decent image.

10-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lovely! I've only seen them once; we mostly get the crimson rosellas.
10-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very colourful birds and well captured.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
We are on the western slopes of the Herries Range (the last spur off the Great Divide in this region) so we get some of the coast and inland bird distributions. For example, we get a few king parrots (coastal) but more red-winged parrots (inland). I saw a lot more Eastern Rosellas when we were closer to Warwick. One thing I have noticed though is that Eastern Rosellas seem to feed more frequently in trees (as in feeding on wattle seed) but the Pale-headed Rosellas seem to prefer feeding on the ground. My pair seem to produce viable offspring although the colouring is a bit "muddied". The Rosella species is a clade as far as I know, and they are able to interbreed where they overlap but less able to at the extremes.
I have a couple of Pale-headed Rosellas that feed in the front garden most mornings. They are a bit flighty, but I must try to get a decent image.
Thanks for the info. I could never get close enough to Pale Headed Rosellas for a decent photo, and for that matter it's hard to get close to Easterns. Much easier to get close to Crimsons!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
Lovely! I've only seen them once; we mostly get the crimson rosellas.
Most of the Rosellas around Canberra are Crimsons, but pairs of Easterns are reasonably common. I wonder if Rosellas are still found around Rose Hill in Sydney?