Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Your opinion on this shot for PP
Posted By: dudlew, 03-30-2008, 05:10 AM

Hi, all.

Just checking for some advice. Someone wanted me to do a shot for a building as an 'advertisement. Now I am going to try a different angle, but I would like an opinion on what I have done with this particular shot.

It was a raw file, that I used to create 5 different 'exposures', and then applied HDR with Photomatix. I then added some pop to the sky as it was not this blue. This shot was taken jut after sunset and this provided some of the warmth in the shot, which I think I emphasized a bit more with the HDR and PP

Do you think its overdone? or is this fine for what it is? I like it and my wife likes it, but I have this little niggling feeling that it is too saturated.
Here is the pic

Thanks for your critiques

D
Views: 2,852
03-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the angle, it makes the building feel impressive. But the foundation is too prominent, I would crop a quarter (or a third) off.

The building lines could use some sharpening.

As for the saturation, I suggest not straying too far from the actual color, after all, this is an Ad, you don't want to 'mis-represent'.
03-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It does look a bit too reddish, but that is just my opinion, which by no means have any real back-ups.

I was bored, so I got Photoshop out and messed it up for fun. Not that my post-post-processing is any good, though (I think I saturated it even more in the end...).

03-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

second shot.

The second shot IMO is much better.. the first one is very bright...

I agree with song that a crop might work a bit better. The foundation doesn't really "help" the picture out.

I might also take out the bright fence on the upper right side... due to its brightness it tends to be distracting..

It looks like it might have a view of somesort?? Is it possible to get a picture of the house and the view?

It looks very intersting!! Thanks for sharin.. Kim

03-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I am going to assume that the original picture is the proper colour of the siding. What I see is that the white railings and shutters have a pink cast to them. Twiddling with PS or some PP program will brighten them to a nice white luster. I am not a huge fan of HDR as it sometimes makes an image look too contrived.

Personally, to suit me, the camera would have to be positioned much higher to reduce the steep angle produced at this level. This would reduce the amount of foundation shown, too.
03-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.....

I went back to it and fiddled a little.

I have rotated the building, done a bit of perspective correction with PTlens, and in Elements 6, I did a remove colour cast command.

Tell me if this is any better:

D
03-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The former pink railings now look white! The angle looks better too. Lookin' good!

03-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My point isn't to be rude or doing exessive nitpicking, but it is a bit unsharp.

A trick up the sleeve is Benjamin Kanarek post processing method | PentaxLife .
Don't know if the unsharp mask filter is availible in Elements, though.