Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
emu, flamingos, tortoises (4 images)
Posted By: Sluggo, 09-23-2006, 09:22 PM

I took my younger son on a zoo trip today - my first since getting the *istDL earlier this summer. What fun! I left the kit lens at home and ended up sticking with a manual focus SMC-A 80-200 f/4.7-5.6 for most of the shooting. I like the lens pretty well, apart from thinking the bokeh a tad obtrusive:

A kid with a point-and-shoot was determined to get the best shots she could:

Did you know pink flamingo chicks aren't pink? I didn't.

And love was all around. (kids, look away for a minute)

Last edited by Sluggo; 09-23-2006 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 2,015
09-24-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sluggo,
Great shots. Your 4th one reminds me of the old saying in the Army (FTA) and the picture used only he was using an Army helmet for the same purpose. Good shot I hope you didn't embarass the lovely couple. (LOL) :=)))

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
09-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
[...] I left the kit lens at home and ended up sticking with a manual focus SMC-A 80-200 f/4.7-5.6 for most of the shooting. I like the lens pretty well, apart from thinking the bokeh a tad obtrusive
Aren't manual focus lenses wonderful? Great shots, I wish I lived near a zoo. I see what you mean about the bokeh, at least in that first shot. I wonder if that was just because of something odd in the background? The others look fine, particularly the flamingo chick. The background is very smooth in that one. Nice series, thanks for sharing!

Julie
09-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
... I see what you mean about the bokeh, at least in that first shot. I wonder if that was just because of something odd in the background? The others look fine...
Well - I'd been about to suggest it was the aperture setting (iris shape varies some as you close it down, right?) but after checking just now, both the emu head shot and the flamingo chick were at f/4.5. So you must be right, what's being shot must have something to do with it - contrasts in the background? its distance from the subject? I sure don't know much about optics.

09-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
what's being shot must have something to do with it - contrasts in the background? its distance from the subject?
I think you may be on to something there - the background with the weird patterns is both more contrasty and further away. I suppose you can also throw angle of light into the mix for a little more confusion!