Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Comet McNaught
Posted By: mingdie, 01-18-2007, 02:42 AM

The comet was very visible to the naked eye this evening. My son pestered me to take some photos and I tried to explain that I didn't have a long enough lens for it. Well I put a 2x converter on my F70-210 and at least we have a memory of maybe one in a lifetime experience.

Cheers

Eddie
Views: 1,364
01-18-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I took a quick snap of it to over here in Perth. Wont put my shot up as it isn't much good - but I thought I may as well have a shot of it as it is an awe inspiring sight to see a comet with a huge tail travelling through the sky.

It's amazing to think that the old *istDS was focused on an object 120 million kilometres away and travelling at a speed of 100 kilometres per second - try panning a spot at that speed.
01-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was a great sight. The fireservice took quite a few calls from people about an aircraft plunging to earth. For me the photo is just a good memory.

Cheers

Eddie
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn you! I was out last night looking for it too, but it was a bit cloudy I think so didn’t even get a glimpse. Whereabouts in the sky (direction, elevation) was it?

01-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Arpe. You should look for it in the south west. When I took the photo is was about 20 degrees above the horizone. If it is clear you can not really miss it.
Good luck.

Eddie
01-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

i'm surrounded by trees so getting a shot is impossible unless i travel a good distance.. keep posting tho as i love the shots.