Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Mt St. Helen
Lens: Fa 20mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Washington State 
Posted By: jnguyen, 10-21-2013, 12:30 AM

May 18, 1980 "the north face of this tall symmetrical mountain collapsed in a massive rock debris avalanche. In a few moments this slab of rock and ice slammed into Spirit Lake, crossed a ridge 1,300 feet high, and roared 14 miles down the Toutle River. The avalanche rapidly released pressurized gases within the volcano. A tremendous lateral explosion ripped through the avalanche and developed into a turbulent, stone-filled wind that swept over ridges and toppled trees. Nearly 150 square miles of forest was blown over or left dead and standing. At the same time a mushroom-shaped column of ash rose thousands of feet skyward and drifted downwind, turning day into night as dark, gray ash fell over eastern Washington and beyond. Wet, cement-like slurries of rock and mud scoured all sides of the volcano. Searing flows of pumice poured from the crater. The eruption lasted 9 hours, but Mount St. Helens and the surrounding landscape were dramatically changed within moments."

Had an opportunity to visit Mt. St. Helen this weekend. I hiked up Norway Pass for an breath taking view of this active volcano. I was not disappointed. It always impresses me to see massive trees blown down like match sticks by the volcanic blast. Amid the destruction, there are signs of renewal. Wild strawberries, blue berries and other shrubs cover the mountain side. Clumps of evergreen are starting to sprout again. Elk's droppings and track marks are seen along the trail.

Attached Images

Views: 2,055
10-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks so serene now. It is difficult to imagine the destructive forces at work. Thanks for sharing your photos and the narrative.
10-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

Love these photos . especially the color as well. I am suprise at the color the FA20mm produces. well done.
10-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. I remember the eruption from news stories. It is hard to imagine the destructive force at the time compared with the beauty that follows as nature heals her wounds.

10-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots and thanks for the reminder. I remember it well and also remember there was some white ash as far north as where I am.
10-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

It is a sight to see. We seem to forget how fragile life is when up against the forces of nature. It truly is an awe inspiring sight to see the trees sticking out horizontally of a bank along a creek or wall along side the road. Great shots.
10-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

These are incredible images. I love the dramatic reds and golds in the 2nd and 3rd shots. The first image is amazing for its composition and dreamy colour. Enjoyed very much.

10-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You got some stunning images from that trail. Beautiful shots of devastation if that is possible. Thanks for sharing these.
10-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
NKK
Inactive Account

Awesome images of an awesome place. Thanks for sharing
10-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The truly humbling thing is that all those shots would have been impossible 35 years ago due to the fact they would have been taken from within the depths of a massive forest. There would of been no view to shoot due to the tree cover.
10-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images in tough lighting! Nice balance of composition in image #2. Thanks for sharing the story and the images.
10-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
Great images in tough lighting! Nice balance of composition in image #2. Thanks for sharing the story and the images.
Your observation is spot on. I learned that the best time to photograph Mt St. Helen is in the morning, if you are hiking the Norway Pass Trail. My best pictures were taken early in the afternoon. The sun was harsh and created many flares in my photos. I tried to shield the lens with my hat, but some flares managed to show up. I lost a few good images as a result.
10-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsyd Quote
Love these photos . especially the color as well. I am suprise at the color the FA20mm produces. well done.
I used a BW red enhancer filter on these images.
10-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Great images, especially like the 2nd shot with color and alpine fir with a slightly ripple-free lake.

Ah such memories: the many eruption photos I took from Portland, and a few days with masks on. I really hate that I've visited that area so seldom, maybe next year!
10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fine captures... those inimitable pentax colors and the dof are impeccable... dave m