Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher
Lens: Sigma 500/F4.5 Camera: Pentax K-5 IIs 
Posted By: kengoh, 10-22-2013, 05:47 AM

Sharing shots of this rare migratory bird taken last week.

#1



#2 with cricket in mouth



#3 with another insect in mouth



Thanks for viewing.
Views: 1,683
10-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
andre-mz5's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Eindhoven
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 268
Thans for sharing these great shots. When the name Kingfisher comes up I alwasy assiciate that with a bird holding a small fish in its mouth. Good to see that they eat insects as well.
10-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Two reasons.......Otis comes to PF occasionally mainly for two reasons. #1 is to see if there are any naked girls posted. #2 is to look for your Kingfishers. He loves those little birdies so much, and no one has better shots than you. He sends his best regards and thanks you for your wonderful shots!
As always, he will trade you a box of squirrels for just one of those little birdies!

Regards!
Rupert
10-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,037
What a beautiful bird Ken. You are so lucky to have such wonderful species to photograph although I think our birds can seem wonderful to those who don't see them everyday. Wish I had half your skill at taking these shots.

10-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,462
Always enjoy your stuff Ken.

You never disappoint.


Tom g
10-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,602
Great shots, especially the last one! You make me want to get that Sigma lens! (and then I realise that getting these photos requires a lot of time, talent and effort not just a lens)
11-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,512
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andre-mz5 Quote
Thans for sharing these great shots. When the name Kingfisher comes up I alwasy assiciate that with a bird holding a small fish in its mouth. Good to see that they eat insects as well.
Thanks andre, I also have the same thinking but this chap can take scorpion, snake, grasshopper, big spider, lizard & other stuff for meals.
11-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,512
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Two reasons.......Otis comes to PF occasionally mainly for two reasons. #1 is to see if there are any naked girls posted. #2 is to look for your Kingfishers. He loves those little birdies so much, and no one has better shots than you. He sends his best regards and thanks you for your wonderful shots!
As always, he will trade you a box of squirrels for just one of those little birdies!

Regards!
Rupert
Thanks Rupert for your kind words. Glad Otis and you like my kingfishers.

11-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,512
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
What a beautiful bird Ken. You are so lucky to have such wonderful species to photograph although I think our birds can seem wonderful to those who don't see them everyday. Wish I had half your skill at taking these shots.
Thanks Susan, yes I'm lucky to have such colorful bird visiting our place though they just stayed for 2-3days.
11-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,512
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Always enjoy your stuff Ken.

You never disappoint.


Tom g
Thanks Tom and glad you enjoy viewing my pics.
11-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian
kengoh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,512
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Great shots, especially the last one! You make me want to get that Sigma lens! (and then I realise that getting these photos requires a lot of time, talent and effort not just a lens)
Thanks RobG, still the Sigma is a good lens else I wont be able to shoot those shots.
11-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,158
Good catch! (you, not the bird)
11-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,602
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Thanks RobG, still the Sigma is a good lens else I wont be able to shoot those shots.
Unfortunately, $5K for a lens is out of my league!
11-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,386
Hi

I think it's a toy bird running on batteries made in some factory in China. The blue LED lights on its wings give it away.

Nice !!

Greetings
11-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Cee Cee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glenroy, Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,319
wonderful shots
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dwarf, flickr, kingfisher, mouth, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flight of the Red Dwarf ;) gjtoth Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 04-05-2013 01:02 PM
Nature Oriental White Eye kengoh Post Your Photos! 18 10-12-2012 05:14 AM
Macro Dwarf Zebra Orchid deaning Post Your Photos! 10 09-10-2012 04:29 PM
Macro Dwarf Tree Frog TOUGEFC Post Your Photos! 6 11-10-2010 11:19 AM
Nature Dwarf Phalaenopsis minikin Post Your Photos! 2 04-21-2010 12:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top