Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rocky Fork Autumn
Lens: FA 28m, DA 70, FA 50 macro, etc Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 10-23-2013, 06:26 PM

It's been a less-than-bright autumn so far here in the lower elevations of East Tennessee. So we decided to "head to the higher hills" of Rocky Fork Wilderness from some brighter autumnal views. Took the Sarvis Cove Trail out of Horse Creek, passing many leafy pools along the way.

It's a lush wet country, even at this dry season.

Mountain Ash berries are at peak ripeness, as was this "chicken of the woods" fungus.

Despite a few light frosts, there were still a few late-season Thistle and Aster blooms, a big attraction to the late-season butterflies (Monarch, Pipevine Swallowtail and Meadow Frittilary).

Witch's Hobble (one of our native viburnums) was showing its subtle autumn colors.

And Cinnamon Ferns were getting quite "cinnamon-y" in tint!

After about 6 miles of steady uphill hiking, we got to the best overlook at Rocky Fork - Buzzard Rock. This limestone outcropping offers a clear view of much of the 10,000 acres of wilderness.

Because time was short, we took the old service road for the return trip. Same distance, but much faster walking. And the hike back down was quick and uneventful, with just one brief stop another small overlook... Hope you enjoyed the hike, and thanks in advance for any comments and critique!

Views: 1,219
10-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

Great pictures and a good feel for the place.

Happy photography.

Sincerely,

Hany.
10-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very Nice!
10-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow on the third image. Jim

10-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
After about 6 miles of steady uphill hiking
Awesome series of posts...a six mile grind would have me rolling in by headlamp this time of year, but it was clearly worth it.
10-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Love autumn in the mountains. The colors are really lovely. Really enjoyed the Witch's Hobble. The subtle colors really spoke to me. Thanks for taking the hike for all of us. I know I couldn't have done it.
10-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hany - Thanks for your kind words!

Qblade - Thanks so much!

Jim - I almost missed taking that one - almost stepped in it while setting up for a different photo. Stopped just in time to avoid getting a photo of a footprint!

CreationBear - It's really not that hard a hike - the upper end of Sarvis Cove trail is rather "interesting" though. With so many huge Hemlocks dying of the adelgids, there's not much canopy anymore and the undergrowth is getting quite thick and tangled. Return hike was down a jeep road, and we jogged most of the way! Total hike took less than 6 hours (including stopping for snapshots) - which was good, because I had to pick up my wife from a Church meeting that afternoon!

Susan - So glad you enjoyed the hike. Witch's Hobble was one of my favorites too. It also has some lovely flower clusters in the late spring...

10-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was in grad school when I lived in that part of the world. Wish I'd had more time to explore. Really lovely.
10-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh wow ... mole, these are absolutely gorgeous. Wonderful set! Your part of the world looks very similar to where I live. Amazing similarities. Thank you for sharing.
10-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure you feel privileged each day living and working in such a beautiful area. thanks Ranger for bringing us along with you. Beautiful photos.
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #11

All of them are beautiful.
But my favorites are: 9 (closeup butterfly), 10 (fern)
and I think last picture in this queue.
(I love the fully air Perspectives).

translated with Google

Last edited by klosov; 10-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
10-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A bit of everything in this set, and all excellent. I really like the long view with foreground stones, what a pallette!