Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Can you save it???
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 03-30-2008, 10:21 PM

While Geocaching Friday I took this pic of a cat tail... I have been playing and toying with it all night.... Perhaps its a lost cause... but knowing how some of you like to play with Post prosing I thought I would post to see if anyone could salvage it....

The original..

This is what I came up with....

If you want a larger original to play with you can get it off my photobucket from here....
Image of Cat Tail Original - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Have fun!!!! Kim
Views: 1,614
03-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to open my dictionary to learn what geocaching is, but I do like your edit to the photo. Who decides what the hidden item is and gives the coordinates?
03-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like your edit job as well Kim
I couldn't have come up with that.
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmmm.....

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I had to open my dictionary to learn what geocaching is, but I do like your edit to the photo. Who decides what the hidden item is and gives the coordinates?
Ha...lol.. I have to warn you Dave.. geocaching is very additictive.. and a lot of fun if you enjoy treasure hunting.... The basis of geocaching is that someone hinds a container full of what every they want (varies is sizes) and then reports the GPS coordinates to a website.. Then people try to go and find it.. Here is the website.. Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site or send me a PM if you want to learn more about it...

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I really like your edit job as well Kim
I couldn't have come up with that.
Thanks Stu for the kind words but I bet you could come up with something better... you dont give yourself enough credit...

Kim

Last edited by mtnbearhug; 04-01-2008 at 10:50 AM.
03-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #5

Hi Kim,

You've placed a tall order.... the blown highlights mean that whatever "solution" we come up with has to deal with large spots where there is no detail or contrast whatsoever..... This is probably the toughest thing to overcome in post-process, in general...

But fortunately, I'm looking for projects to practice with Photoshop CS3, as I've downloaded the Photoshop trial version, and have been playing for a week or two, now... So I'll post what I've come up with playing here... Hope you like'em...

First, an effort to just slightly grey out your highlights but brighten up the cattail with a rather crude layer mask... It gives the whole photo a selective color/sepia effect where the color/sepia contrast tries to overpower the highlights.

A wander through the filter gallery.... I like the contrast in detail from the subject to the background here.

And finally, IMHO, my best attempt at "salvation"

The last one is a more refined "curves" layer mask, with a feathered edge, in an effort to provide a simulation of a rim light, to hide the brightness boost. Not sure if it succeeds, but hopefully the attempts give some ideas. They've provided a fun project for me!

-Chris
03-31-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Now keep in mind that I really do hate post-processing but I figured I'd see what LightZone could do with this. So here's my try at it. All I did was use the relight tool to tweak the highlights and shadows a bit to lighten it up and force the histogram into more of a balanced bell curve.
04-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say I like hinckc's third attempt a lot
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When the Post Editing is performed by the photographer the end result has the best chance of reaching what was origanal exciting about the subject (the way it looked to you when you brought the hammer down and pulled the trigger - thank heavens we are no longer wasting film - ha ha). Working from a compressed copy (under 300kb) it is not possible to drop any jaws or get any ohhs or ahhs, but you can get an idea that the detail can be enhanced, sharpend, contrast manipulated, channels utilized, highlights and shadows tweaked, etc. I would even burn the bottom section a bit to help weight the photo and draw the eye up. Play around with the full file original Kim and have a bit of fun (try out the dodge and burn tool, set to 2% - 4%, highlights, and then shadows on the cat's tail, this will let you build up slow). The contrast adjustment really makes a huge change too.

The original

The post edited (10min)