Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Common garden skink?
Camera: Pentax K-5 
Posted By: Sudip, 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM

First time posting picture in the forum after lurking around for sometime.
This is a commonly found lizard in garden around the University of Western Australia. The photos were taken with reversed A50 mm f2 lens. I am beginning to learn photography so any suggestion would be welcome.
The last photo is a crop of the first one. Apologies for not knowing technical terms like crop percent.

Views: 1,214
10-24-2013, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perfectly focused, great shots!
10-24-2013, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The second picture is particularly striking!
10-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Na Horuk and NicoleC
-Sudip

10-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You've already got one important thing right - if you're photographing a person or an animal, you must get the eyes in focus. Good stuff!
10-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Love your depth of field on all of these and the compositions are great. Nice work! Great little animal.
10-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Can see your reflection in the first and last. I wonder if garden skinks in WA are different to the ones here?

10-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They are lovely little things. One occasionally sees large ones (25 cm) but I have an even larger one in my garage. It's a blue tongue lizard which is, I believe, a skink. I wish he'd get out and eat a few more snails.
10-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice indeed. The DOF is perfect and the eye nice and sharp Good job.
10-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
You've already got one important thing right - if you're photographing a person or an animal, you must get the eyes in focus. Good stuff!
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Love your depth of field on all of these and the compositions are great. Nice work! Great little animal.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Very nice indeed. The DOF is perfect and the eye nice and sharp Good job.
Thank you guys.
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
Can see your reflection in the first and last. I wonder if garden skinks in WA are different to the ones here?
I don't know about Canberra but I saw a few in Brisbane and they looked the same, fast, shy and tiny little slithers.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
They are lovely little things. One occasionally sees large ones (25 cm) but I have an even larger one in my garage. It's a blue tongue lizard which is, I believe, a skink. I wish he'd get out and eat a few more snails.
these in the pics were barely 10 cm long. I would love to see a blue tongue. Heard they can be quite friendly.
10-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudip Quote
I don't know about Canberra but I saw a few in Brisbane and they looked the same, fast, shy and tiny little slithers.
Looks like it's this one, Buchanan's Snake-eyed Skink:
Buchanan's snake-eyed skink (Cryptoblepharus buchananii) at the Australian Reptile Online Database | AROD.com.au

Says the body length is about 5cm without the tail, so that fits. The Garden Skink is only in Eastern Oz. I'll have to look more closely at skinks in future - I didn't realise that we had so many species! Actually I haven't seen so many small skinks in Canberra. I used to see a lot more in Sydney and Brisbane.
10-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #13

Original Poster
Looks like it's this one, Buchanan's Snake-eyed Skink:
Buchanan's snake-eyed skink (Cryptoblepharus buchananii) at the Australian Reptile Online Database | AROD.com.au

Says the body length is about 5cm without the tail, so that fits. The Garden Skink is only in Eastern Oz. I'll have to look more closely at skinks in future - I didn't realise that we had so many species! Actually I haven't seen so many small skinks in Canberra. I used to see a lot more in Sydney and Brisbane.
Interesting read. thanks.