Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Nolin SP
Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Kentucky 
Posted By: slowpez, 10-27-2013, 07:42 AM

This is a really nice little state park that is located near Mammoth Cave. Right on a lake which made it a really good place to kick back and not do too much.

Of course, if you are a tent kind of person, you get the best site

But there is enough peacefulness to share

We were lucky enough to have gotten there before the govt. was shut down. We got in quite a few tours (most by lantern light) so didn't bother taking any shots inside. Flash is forbidden anyway.
The Historic entrance to the cave

The water has to get in and out somewhere

Of course being a park there was both flora and fauna

No great art here, just a travelogue to show all of you what we have been up to lately. We like having friends along on our adventures.
Views: 850
10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful colors in the "tent" shot Susan. All of our state parks stayed open, only the Fed parks closed out this way and we lost 3 reservations. I've never been to that cave but certainly heard about it.
10-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
beautiful colors in the "tent" shot Susan. All of our state parks stayed open, only the Fed parks closed out this way and we lost 3 reservations. I've never been to that cave but certainly heard about it.
No effect on our state parks either Bob. Of course, Mammoth had to close and the national park campgrounds, COEs, etc. also closed. Just got our money back today for the cancellations that affected us so we can't complain too much. Of course, it ruined part of our trip but I really feel sorry for the tourists who came from other countries arriving to find everything closed. As you know, it takes a year to get reservations in some of those campgrounds. I think I would have been more than a little miffed to arrive and find out I couldn't use them.
10-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another great series Susan. Well done.

10-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A nice looking area there Susan.Your shots certainly do it justice.--charliezap
10-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Another great series Susan. Well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A nice looking area there Susan.Your shots certainly do it justice.--charliezap
Thanks bluestringer and Charlie. We have been to Mammoth Cave several times and there is always something new to see. We discovered they have a cave tour for photographers during "the season" so we may try to get back there on our way west next year. It would be nice to be able to photograph the inside of the caves with the proper equipment.
10-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful images, Susan, thanks for taking us along!

Do they allow flash/supplemental lighting on the special photographers' tour?

10-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Wonderful images, Susan, thanks for taking us along!

Do they allow flash/supplemental lighting on the special photographers' tour?
Yes they do Julie; tripods too. They also limit the numbers. They use the entrance that is for those who are unable to walk long distances too so you won't have to carry your equipment too far.
10-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most interesting, Susan, thanks. One presumes a long waiting list to join one of those tours... not an issue for me as I'm unable to travel there any time soon, but certainly something to keep in mind for a future adventure!
10-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Most interesting, Susan, thanks. One presumes a long waiting list to join one of those tours... not an issue for me as I'm unable to travel there any time soon, but certainly something to keep in mind for a future adventure!
Not sure how long the waiting list would be. As with most national parks, they usually have a minimum time you can sign up for something. Campgrounds, for example,can be anywhere from 6 months to a year before you plan on arriving.
10-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Mr_Canuck

The orange sunset with the tent tells a great story. The colours are most natural in this one too. Nice capture.

I think the leaf with moss on the log is "pure art". Frame it on the wall and be proud of it. Beautiful composition and colour. Love it.
10-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
The orange sunset with the tent tells a great story. The colours are most natural in this one too. Nice capture.

I think the leaf with moss on the log is "pure art". Frame it on the wall and be proud of it. Beautiful composition and colour. Love it.
Thank you so much. You made my day.