Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Classic Corvette
Posted By: Workingdog, 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM

I would very much like to hear everyone's feedback on these as they are my first foray into this genre. Your immediate gut feel as well as comments on artistic impression and technical merit will be greatly appreciated. Of course I'll appreciate your positive comments but, more importantly, I'll learn from your critical ones. Please forgive that I didn't post in "critique" section. I thought I'd get more views here. Thank you.

Views: 2,958
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice detail on all three, but I like the presentation on the first shot the best.
03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like them all - a different view - I think the angle on the last one is my favorite. The first one is good as well but I believe it has your reflection in it.
03-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At first look I love them. However, the reflections become very distracting. This is very tough to overcome. In outdoor situations you almost have to surround the car in white sheets to avoid it, and even then you have to be aware of seams, wrinkles, and such. #3 does a nice job with the reflections because you shot from a lower angle and get sky instead of closer surroundings. The black background would be nice if the reflections didn't give the actual setting away. Overall a very nice start. Really the scenic reflection is my only issue.

03-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmmm 1970?
03-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Stingray name plate, the Rally Rim and the side "gill" are all powerful entities that bring a Corvette photo of this era home for me. I would say that #2 get closest to the mark for me (#3 shows more of the entities but the angle somehow is distracting for me)
I love front end Corvette shots that show off the sexy voluptuous lines of the car, long side profiles. The Corvette is really a sexy car and the more body lines you can get in the better in my opinion. Hopefully you own this gem and can take a zillion more pictures of it

Nice post
03-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments so far. By all means keep them coming.

Techiechick - You and Mrs. Workingdog are in agreement on #1

daacon - I am also partial to #3

davemdsn - Yes, the reflections were tough. Shot in my driveway about 5 pm. I had the idea to shoot this at night in an empty but well lit parking lot so that the reflection would be so dark as to be devoid of detail. Do you think this would work? I'd have to wait until the weather warms up a bit to test the idea.

FL - Good eye!!! 1970 LT1 convertible, Cortez Silver

spyglass - Absolutely, I feel the same way. The object was to capture the essence of the car without just taking a picture of the whole car. It was the first toy I bought when I got a "real job" out of college way back in the mid-1980's

03-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with Spy on the #2 is the best of the bunch in my eyes. Nice work overall.
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Workingdog, A night shot might be worth a try. Lighting it would be tough since the light source would have to be really big to avoid specular highlights. I read an article years ago about a shot done of a high end sports car for a car magazine. The photographer shot it in a garage/studio with photo floods and a long exposure, moving the lights in a large sweeping circle during the exposure to mimic having used huge light banks.

I do agree that you have captured the essence of the car very well. Regardless of the reflections they were good shots.
04-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

the first one looks great, I'd just get bit lower reveal more of the wheel...
04-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Nice detail on all three, but I like the presentation on the first shot the best.
Me too. I love the sensuous curves of the 'Vettes of that era and they're captured nicely here.

Jer
10-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #12

I think that depth-of-focus was handled very well. I'm curious about the background being solid black, which seems incongruous with the sky reflections in the paint. I like #3 best because it best handles the sky reflections and because it shows the whole "gill" rather than cropping it as in #2.
10-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The first on looks almost alive. Ya done good!