Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Algonquin Park August Canoe Trip
Lens: Sigma 18 - 250 f/3.5 macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario 
Posted By: tessfully, 10-31-2013, 06:29 AM

In August I had the pleasure of guiding a canoe trip in Algonquin Park. As the guide I knew I would be too busy to focus on photography so I only brought my K-5 and all-purpose Sigma 18 - 250 f/3.5 macro lens and a light weight tripod. I finally got around to processing the trip photos and I am delighted with the results from this lens.

Here's my "trip report" ... thanks for looking

On board for the trip - Nic and Tim from England

and Amy from Toronto

Leaving civilization behind

We were out for 5 nights 6 days, each bringing its own special beauty. While I didn't get a lot of photos on the days we moved, I made up for it on our rest day.

Paddling as the sun began to set. What an amazing experience.

I woke early and was awarded with a beautiful misty morning

A day paddle though rivers bogged down by water lilies

The promise of another gorgeous sunset on the way...

One of our campsites

Back home way too soon

Views: 1,654
10-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a great trip you had. The first misty morning shot just blew me away. Magical.
10-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Susan, I was thinking I should post that misty shot on its own for some feedback. It is one of my favourite all-time landscape shots and I wonder if it's because I experienced the moment, or if it is also a good photograph.

I appreciate your comments very much. Thanks again.
10-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful shots - looked like a great trip! You're right, the misty morning shot is something special - and those sunsets are gorgeous. TFS!

10-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Splendid places--thank you for the trip I'm sure the first hand fun was great, but your pics let us have a bit of it. And quite a bit of natural beauty.
10-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow what a way to spend the week. Beautiful series Tess envious indeed.
10-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Beautiful shots - looked like a great trip! You're right, the misty morning shot is something special - and those sunsets are gorgeous. TFS!
Thank you Paul! So glad you stopped by and also that you liked the mist and sunset shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Splendid places--thank you for the trip I'm sure the first hand fun was great, but your pics let us have a bit of it. And quite a bit of natural beauty.
Thanks causey! Photos do tend to limit the experience, but those moments captured above were special.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow what a way to spend the week. Beautiful series Tess envious indeed.
Thank you Dave... We had somewhere in the neighbourhood of 38 "bag" nights this summer... meaning we were out on canoe trips a lot! It is an amazing way to spend time and now that we've had a break I am missing it terribly, ready to go, but have to get thru winter and wait for "ice out."

10-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a beautiful thread Tess, the mist shot is a one of a kind photo for sure. The others are all great to view and I can see why you have chosen to live in the area, such beauty all around you. Nice to see photos this excellent that are shot with the Sigma, gives me something to shoot for.
10-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats has been really worthwhile trip looking at the scenery. That one with the multicolored (lily?) leaves has a beautiful almost abstract quality to it.
10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Really good viewing. High quality and varied shots that both give a good flavour of the trip and stand alone too.
10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics!

QuoteQuote:
I only brought my K-5 and all-purpose Sigma 18 - 250 f/3.5 macro lens
It doesn't seem to matter what gear you use Tess - your eye and control of any gear you use always produce outstanding results!
10-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, what a fabulous set of pictures, and an even more fabulous campsite.
11-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
What a beautiful thread Tess, the mist shot is a one of a kind photo for sure. The others are all great to view and I can see why you have chosen to live in the area, such beauty all around you. Nice to see photos this excellent that are shot with the Sigma, gives me something to shoot for.
Thank you Bob! My trust in that lens really grew after this series. I was pretty nervous not taking any primes, yet these are better than September's trip when I took all my primes. I think you will really enjoy the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Thats has been really worthwhile trip looking at the scenery. That one with the multicolored (lily?) leaves has a beautiful almost abstract quality to it.
Thanks Fries! I cropped that one a bit so the one flower would show more. I thought it was kind of cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
Really good viewing. High quality and varied shots that both give a good flavour of the trip and stand alone too.
Thank you Dr Orloff! Very nice of you to stop by and I really appreciate your comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics!

It doesn't seem to matter what gear you use Tess - your eye and control of any gear you use always produce outstanding results!
Thanks so much Stan! My technique is to take many photos of the scene so that at least one works out okay. I truly appreciate your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Wow, what a fabulous set of pictures, and an even more fabulous campsite.
Thank you Jerry! The campsites in Algonquin Park are always great. Even the "rough" ones have character and are usually so out of the way as to be completely wild.
11-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for these lovely photos, Tess. On the strength of one visit the summer before last, I'm a huge fan of Algonquin park.
11-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank for having a look jva and for the nice comments! Algonquin has it all... an amazing place for sure. They really need to drop "park" from the name. People visiting from far away places stop me in town and ask where the park is, expecting something fenced with animals to pet, as well as expect huts with bathrooms to sleep in along the lake and trail systems. Once you paddle and portage out of that first lake you are on your own. (I think I am already missing it and winter has not yet begun).