Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few from Edinburgh
Lens: 12-24 / 18-135WR Camera: K5 Photo Location: Edinburgh, Scotland 
Posted By: imaspy, 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Got to go to Edinburgh for a conference. Lucky enough to have two days either side of said conference for exploration and fun - what an amazingly beautiful city! Have to go back.

Also, this is the first time I've been able to say how awesome it is to have a weather sealed body and lens... it was amusing to see the other people with that look of dread on their faces as I continued to take photos in spite of the rain. Sadly I didn't get a chance to use the "Oh, no, don't worry - it's all Pentax" line

All post done in LR including VSCO emulations. C&C welcome! Enjoy.

what's this!? sun in october?!??

Scottish War Memorial

Lizzies summer place. Was devastated I couldn't take photos on the tour, but fair enough seeing as it's a working palace.

The Scott Monument - largest monument in the world dedicated to a writer. As someone famous once remarked, it looks as though someone cut the top off of a gothic church and plonked it straight on the ground. Climbing it was great fun!

That bloody castle again. I loved that you could see it from pretty much anywhere in the city. Very imposing.

Last edited by imaspy; 11-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Views: 887
11-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It has been more than 30 years since we have been to Edinburgh. Thanks so much for the trip back. Nothing has changed I see . Enjoyed the whole series but the two call boxes against the gray stone background is one of my favorites.
11-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dramatic architecture, dramatically captured. And I'm with Susan - the two red call boxes against the drab stone make a delightful shot and contrast.

Jer
11-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice tour. The weather gave a Scot feel to your pics Thank you for sharing.

11-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I live pretty close to Edinburgh but have gotten out of the habit of going over due in no small part to the Tram line installation - possibly the worst idea the City fathers have ever had (including the Carlton Hill Folly that you have shot).
Now that the worst of the tramline disruption seems to be over - I'll have to get over again, it's a really photogenic place. Some really nice shots - where about is the lawn courtyard?
11-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the comments all. i tend to agree, the phone box shot is probably the most fun

the lawn courtyard is holyrood house.

EDIT - i agree johndav - the tram installation was a bit confusing. there is still work going on and there are still no trams. some locals filled us in on the whole shemozzle. i think not until there are actually trams running will we know if it was good idea or not :P
11-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
C&C welcome!
Neither here nor there, but because the two booths are placed symmetrically in the frame if it was me I would just straighten them up a wee bit to make the placement complete.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.