Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Venus
Lens: DA 16-45 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: RobG, 11-04-2013, 04:41 AM

Ninety second exposure at 1600ISO using the astro-tracer.
Views: 841
11-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice "starburst" from Venus, pinpoint star images, and some subtle nebulosity when viewed full size.
11-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Nice "starburst" from Venus, pinpoint star images, and some subtle nebulosity when viewed full size.
Thanks! I was surprised that such faint features as the Milky Way became visible given the light pollution.
11-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice shot Rob, something I really haven't tried in years. Here in the desert there isn't any light pollution so I'll give it a try.

11-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
nice shot Rob, something I really haven't tried in years. Here in the desert there isn't any light pollution so I'll give it a try.
Thanks Bob! This result made me want to drive away from the city on the weekend for the same reason, but there's rain predicted for this weekend. Shame, because today there's not a cloud to be seen! The winter sky where I live is best, but I'd still like to try the same sky as in this photo but away from suburbia. I've also wanted to try stacking as well. If you have the GPS unit for the K5 you can use the Astrotracer - the sharpness of Venus in this image shows that it can work really well.

PS The tail of Scorpio was really obvious to the naked eye, but the extra stars that the K5iis saw make it much less obvious.
11-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was really tempted to go for a drive out of town tonight to take more star photos, but there's too much smoke around from bushfires.

11-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shot Rob - gotta get out and try that myself.

11-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very nice shot Rob - gotta get out and try that myself.
Definitely worth a try - especially if you're in a part of Alberta where there's not too much light pollution from cities. I saw some good spots between Calgary and Banff yonks ago.
11-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see good clean star images from the 16-45. I'm still looking for good lenses for astro shots and this looks pretty cool.
11-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SointulArt Quote
Nice to see good clean star images from the 16-45. I'm still looking for good lenses for astro shots and this looks pretty cool.
It's a great lens IMO. I should also try the DA35 limited, but obviously it doesn't have the field of view that the DA16-45 provides. I also plan to try my mirror lens again, although I'm dubious that the Astrotracer will help at 500mm. If it allows me to take 30 second exposures, I could stack them to get smaller and dimmer objects. I have tried the mirror lens in the past but without a tracking mount or astrotracer you'll inevitably get star trails. I kind of assume that prime lenses will always give better results than zooms, and the faster the lens, the better, but I don't have enough lenses to verify that.
11-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Awesome! First planet we see at night. I love how your have captured the scene … not an easy task and you portrayed Venus with presence.
11-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Awesome! First planet we see at night. I love how your have captured the scene … not an easy task and you portrayed Venus with presence.
Thanks Tess - it's not too hard to give it presence at the moment, because it's amazingly bright!