Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Series :: K10D goes for a walk.. and captures autumn colors
Lens: F28mm F50mm Camera: K10D Photo Location: UK 
Posted By: manntax, 11-09-2013, 11:58 AM

I managed to do some PP of photos taken about 2 weeks ago, when we had a very brief period of a beautiful autumn down here in England.

Delivered once again my K10D, also paired with my trusted walk-around combo - primes F50mm and F28mm.

Processed to achieve kind of slide-like look, not sure if I succeed - I have two screens at home - none calibrated properly so advice/tip always welcomed :>)--manntax

Last edited by manntax; 11-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Views: 653
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They look excellent on my calibrated Eizo monitor - it is nice to see someone still using the K10D, I still use mine even though I have a K5IIs.
11-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They look excellent on my calibrated Eizo monitor - it is nice to see someone still using the K10D, I still use mine even though I have a K5IIs.
Thanks! Good to know! The thing is, I have two screens one Xerox and one , IMac 21.5" - both shows slightly different - on IMac everything is darker and more contrasty - Xerox shows much more detail in darks and shadows - but at the same time photos are less contrasty - I am always confused which version is correct and on which screen I should actually view and develop the photos.

And yeah - my K10D is strong and keeps delivering .. I will be using it for many years to come for sure - even if I upgrade eventually - it will go then to my 13 years old --manntax
11-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
The thing is, I have two screens one Xerox and one , IMac 21.5" - both shows slightly different - on IMac everything is darker and more contrasty - Xerox shows much more detail in darks and shadows
The differences you are seeing is probably because your screens have different gamma points (in laymans terms: grey point) Macs typically are set to 1.8 most PC displays are set to 2.2.

11-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The differences you are seeing is probably because your screens have different gamma points (in laymans terms: grey point) Macs typically are set to 1.8 most PC displays are set to 2.2.
Thanks - will look into it - but then again, which one is the correct one then ? In terms of accurate reproduction if I was going to print large via those online services ?
11-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
which one is the correct one then ?
Depends on which OS you are using on your mac because Snow Leapoard uses gamma 2.2,m if you are using an older mac OS the gamma point is probably lower. Also which monitor is the most accurate also depends on which is the oldest between the two, as age an impact on colour accuracy because LCD displays experience colour shift.
11-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Depends on which OS you are using on your mac because Snow Leapoard uses gamma 2.2,m if you are using an older mac OS the gamma point is probably lower. Also which monitor is the most accurate also depends on which is the oldest between the two, as age an impact on colour accuracy because LCD displays experience colour shift.
Ha ha . I am even more confused now Let me ask differently then. Imagine I have a dual system ( run both Win and Mac on the same computer ) - now in both I have lightroom installed and when I export an image - it is produced in both systems the same way - right ? The resulting JPG is basically the same. Now that tells me that no matter what system I am using - the resulting image is defined by the way it was processed - so if on one screen image still looks dark - I simply light it up a bit until I am happy, right ? Now when I get the same image on another screen - it looks differently - not only about the color differences ( to some extent ) but as you've mentioned - the gamma is set differently for both screens - so the image looks brighter and less contrasty than before on another screen. Now I would more likely undo some of that lighting up mentioned earlier...

Do you see my problem ? Now which screen tells the 'truth' so when I send a photo out for printing I wont get too dark gloomy print or washed out and too bright one. ?? How do I know for sure ? --manntax

EDIT: until now I was editing my photos and tried to balance between both screens - so looks like this was the right way ( according to your screen, telling that the above photos are ok - but would be be enough for prints ? ) - but my consciousness of these things tells me I should find out for sure and set both screens as accurately as possible..