Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A High Country Evening
Camera: Mamiya RB67 Photo Location: Rocky Mountain National Park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F32 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 11-09-2013, 10:24 PM

I spent the day hiking and taking some more photos with my medium format film camera. Shooting digital for so many years, I am very much enjoying the change of pace that shooting film offers. It puts you in a different, much more contemplative frame of mind. There is no "chimping" possible, and with only 10 frames to work with, you really have to slow down and wait for the perfect light.

Here is the first frame I scanned tonight from the two rolls I shot today. The photo was taken at Horseshoe Park in Rocky Mountain National Park close to sunset. The sun was setting just behind the mountain to the left, briefly lighting up the lone tree on the hill.

I intentionally didn't crop the film borders fully, I kind of like the effect of showing the film edge on some photos.

Taken with a Mamiya RB67 medium format camera on Foma 100 film. Developed in Xtol at 1:1.

I'll be sure to add a few others to this thread tomorrow once I scan them in.

Thanks for looking.
Views: 906
11-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice indeed, great tonal qualities here.
11-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are really good at this! Nice job on the processing, wonderful image. I can image shooting with this camera does make you very contemplative. I think at this point in my DSLR life the "not knowing" would drive me insane!
11-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very nice indeed, great tonal qualities here.
Thank you. I am finding I REALLY prefer B&W in film compared to my DSLR. I'll definitely be sticking to the DLSR for color though.

11-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
You are really good at this! Nice job on the processing, wonderful image. I can image shooting with this camera does make you very contemplative. I think at this point in my DSLR life the "not knowing" would drive me insane!
Thanks . I am getting the hang of it. The first few rolls through the medium format had me fumbling, not feeling very comfortable at all. I REALLY missed not being able to look at the screen at the back.

The last couple of rolls though, something just clicked. The camera itself kind of just faded to the background and I started to "see" how the photos would turn out before clicking the shutter.

I got this some with my DSLR, but for some reason (I guess because of no screen) it became more pronounced with this old film camera.

I am now on the lookout for a cheap field 4x5. It might just slow me down that much more
11-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a very well done landscape, thanks for posting it. BTW. a 4x5 field camera WILL slow you down. Many, many years ago I used 5x7 and 8x10 as well as 4x5. I don't know how much sheet film goes for now but even than it was not cheap.

Heinrich
12-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
This is a very well done landscape, thanks for posting it. BTW. a 4x5 field camera WILL slow you down. Many, many years ago I used 5x7 and 8x10 as well as 4x5. I don't know how much sheet film goes for now but even than it was not cheap.

Heinrich
Thank you Heinrich! Speaking of 4x5's, I'm just about to buy a Sinar F1 camera setup. Id like to get a field camera, but they are just too expensive. I've been reading that the Sinar F1 is relatively light and can be configured in various ways to pack pretty compactly.

4x5 is around $1.00 per sheet for b&w, which I'll try to stick to. You can also shoot x-ray film for only a few pennies a sheet. It is highly orthochromatic though, so very sensitive to blue/green light.

I might just bite the bullet and buy the 4x5 tonight. It's been running through my head the past couple of days.

12-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry to be posting these a few weeks later, life gets in the way some times .

Here are a few more from the roll shot that evening in the mountains.

12-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Stunning series of B&Ws CJ. You have gotten so good at these and it certainly shows in this series.