Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New feeder improvements- new pictures
Lens: DA* 60-250 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 1600 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Today using the DA*60-250 on the K-3, (finally breaking away from the A-400) using as much as a 50% crop… the crops hold up quite nicely…

Today's visitor….

Downey Woodpecker..

Chickadee, maybe a 1/3 crop.

Blues Jays

Single Jay..

Views: 761
11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh yes they do hold up, excellent. Great color and detail.
11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice work, Norm. Did you use manual or auto focus for these?
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is certainly sharpness in the main subjects and other objects. I find it interesting all shot at 1600 yet they show various noise patterns. The chipmunk is very clean and I find the next best is the last blue jay. I suspect it's the green background just 'shows' better. Could be my laptop or again eyes. Either way they are great sharp shots and @ 50% corp looks to me like they would hold up great on print.

11-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Oh yes they do hold up, excellent. Great color and detail.
Yes, some of these have very little PP...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Very nice work, Norm. Did you use manual or auto focus for these?
These were all auto-focus.. the smaller AF points make it really easy to focus through the branches, and select the eye of a bird instead of the shoulder. A great improvement over my K-5. everyone else says the AF isn't any faster, maybe I need to shoot with my K-5 side by side, but it seems pretty fast to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
There is certainly sharpness in the main subjects and other objects. I find it interesting all shot at 1600 yet they show various noise patterns. The chipmunk is very clean and I find the next best is the last blue jay. I suspect it's the green background just 'shows' better. Could be my laptop or again eyes. Either way they are great sharp shots and @ 50% corp looks to me like they would hold up great on print.
The chip monk is sharp… but the noise needed some work. Most of these would make good prints from the cropped images. Maybe not the chickadee. The little guys give me trouble. 1600 ISO is definitely the absolute upper limit for this camera, I prefer 800 ISO. That's pretty much how I used to view the K20D. I've good images taken at 3200 ISO with the K-5.