Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Autumn "Critters"
Lens: FA 50 macro, FA 100 macro, Tokina 400 Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Been out on the trail a lot this fall, both working on trails and sharing nature discovery with school groups. Along the way, have enjoyed noticing some of the small "critters" of autumn in East Tennessee.

Here's an Eastern Box Turtle, enjoying perhaps his last sunbath before burrowing under for the winter.

You can see why these salamanders are called Two Lined salamanders (I believe it's the Blue Ridge Two Lined, but not positive). Sure was a cooperative little "poser," anyway.

It's about too late for any odonates, but this Southern Spreadwing was out sunning on a rather cool autumn afternoon…

Spiny Micrathena spiders are still rather common in the fall, usually in the deep forest and lower elevations. This female was kind enough to hold still for a few snapshots. You can see how those spines would make it hard for a bird or other predator to swallow her.

And here's a first for me - just happened to be in the right spot to "catch" this GB Heron in the midst of enjoying his catch! Not very high quality photo (shutter speed too slow, too much vegetation in the way), but really enjoyed the fish eye looking at the GBH eye!

And one more late-season predator: Some sharp-eyed students noticed this Carolina Mantid "hanging out" on a tree in their schoolyard. Unlike the Praying Mantis, this is a native species in our region. They also seem to stay active later in the year than their larger, non-native cousins.

Hope you enjoyed a peek at some autumnal animals, and that you'll share your comments & critique!

Views: 1,186
11-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific photos, Mole! I get no credit for originality, but I especially liked the Heron!
11-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can just imagine what it would be like to take a hike on a school outing. Those kids will be talking about this trip to their kids, great shots Ranger, really enjoyed the view.
11-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic. Lovely!

11-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely series!
11-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've done exceptionally well with these shots and a very interesting array as well.
11-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JVA - Glad you enjoyed the (rather blurry) heron snapshot. I've been fortunate to get some much better GBH portraits, but never with a mouthful...

Bob - I am indeed blessed with a great job - and sharing nature with children is one of my favorite duties.

Jacquot - You are too kind!

Jac - Thanks!!!

Eaglem - So glad you enjoyed the diversity!

11-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #8

Beautiful and interesting series, thanks.
11-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent series TFS.