Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Roan Mt In the Clouds
Lens: DA 21 Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 11-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Was up at Roan Mountain recently, hoping to catch an autumnal sunrise. Valley was under heavy rain, but was hoping that the high places might be above the clouds. Nope - hike was IN the clouds! Plenty of wind, cold & damp drizzle, but also some fine fog-rich scenes.

Roan Mt, like much of the southern Appalachians, holds some corners of temperate rain forest. You can tell by the lush moss that this Spruce/Fir forest gets plenty of moisture!

A young Beech forest is also thriving in the cool and damp - very close to the best Flame Azalea "garden" on Roan Mt.

No Azaleas blooming in November, but there were some very bright blueberry bushes.

Here's another very bright little plant. From the name "cinquefoil," you can guess that most plants in this group have leaves in groups of 5. But there's a rather rare Cinquefoil (only found in two counties in Tennessee) called 3-toothed Cinquefoil, that has leaves in groups of 3! And it sure makes a bright accent to the high rocky places.

Roan Mt is especially well-known for its grassy balds - natural high-elevation meadows rich in rare plants. Here are a few rather foggy views of some of the balds around Grassy Ridge.

This hike was a great test of some new boots and a new raincoat (both worked perfectly!) Also a great chance to enjoy a different view of the high country. Hope you also enjoyed the view, and that you'll share your comments & critique!

Views: 1,320
11-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, just great. I love the 3-leaved cinquefoil colors, and explanation, and the softness of the fog shots with the bright green mosses and the sharp grasses.
11-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Besides not getting any change of color in the desert, we don't get much fog either Ranger. All beautiful photos that you shared especially the views from up top.
11-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful series. Particularly number two.

11-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Awesome series--the cinquefoil is a revelation to me…I don't recall ever having passed any up in the higher elevations out west of you, but if it happened to be before it took on its autumn hues it very well might have escaped my attention.

Otherwise, I'm very happy to see the beech gaps getting a little love… always magical to come out from under the "Boreal Zone" into open air and brassy leaves…
11-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent series. TFS.
11-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most excellent series, wish that I would have been on that hike. Thanks for showing us.

11-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jacquot - Thanks for your very kind and very specific comments!

Bob - We are blessed with plenty of moisture here in East Tennessee - you can find fog here quite often at almost any time of year. And of course, the mountains often make their own foggy weather even when it's dry in the low country...

Jac - Thanks! #2 is one of my favorites too - spent more time than usual trying different angles on the same scene...

CreationBear - The little Cinquefoil is Potentilla tridentata - here's a link on the UTK herbarium website:
University of Tennessee :: Herbarium - TENN
You'll notice it's only listed for Carter and Unicoi counties - quite a bit East of you... And it's also easy to miss, or to confuse with wild strawberry (when both are green in the summer) if you're not looking carefully.
I agree with you about the Beech gaps. My home park (much lower elevation) has many fine old beeches.

Stefan - Thanks so much!

Heinrich - So glad you enjoyed the hike. It's a fairly easy hike - only about 5 miles round trip, and elevations ranging from about 5,000 feet to just over 6,000 feet. If you're ever "down south," you'll have to come see for yourself!
11-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
We are blessed with plenty of moisture here in East Tennessee - you can find fog here quite often at almost any time of year. And of course, the mountains often make their own foggy weather even when it's dry in the low country
And that's why we both need the new WR Limited zoom...
11-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Great shots....especially 2 and 7. I just ordered the 21 and came wait to get it.
11-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A truly excellent series of shots. The red leaves on the grey rock really stand out for me.
11-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I always enjoy going on hikes with you and this one didn't disappoint. Wonderful images.