Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Satin Bower Birds
Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Geehi - NSW 
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Satin Bower Birds at Geehi in the Australian Alps.

The mature male is dark blue/black while the immature male and female are Green in colour. The males both mature and immature, build bowers out of twigs under low bushes. They collect bight objects, usually blue in order to attract mates. There is fierce competition and the mature males often raid the bowers of the younger birds, steal their treasures and destroy the bowers.

Immature male

Immature male with feather possible off Crimson Rosella. Note the blue piece on the end.. Taken from our lunch table.

He flies straight through our camp to his bower just metres behind us.

In the bower. I think this is a female inspecting the bower of our young friend above. Thefemales ar every similar to the young males.

A mature male at his bower tending to his collection of treasures. The males take about 7 years to reach maturity and sport the blue/black colouring.

Views: 965
11-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well captured, Bruce. You managed to show several aspects of the birds' strange behaviour and rituals. David Attenborough should look to his laurels I hadn't realised that satin bower birds were in that part of the world.

We used to drive through there several times a year and I always loved the drive, even when we had to put chains on to get through the snow and ice in winter. We usually had to find our way around a few boulders, some of them as big as a car, that looked like they'd recently fallen to the road between Khancoban and the Murray 1 power station. I never got any shots of the boulders because I believed the signs that said things like "Do not stop. Constantly falling rocks." Even when there weren't any boulders, there were fresh holes in the road with some rubble close by.

We'd see interesting wildlife starting around Geehi or Tom Groggin. We occasionally saw emus between Tom Groggin and Leather Barrel Creek, though I think that was more in the summer. Lots of kangaroos, of course. Magic area.

Richard.

Last edited by RichardS; 11-16-2013 at 11:41 PM.
11-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
In the bower. I think this is a female inspecting the bower of our young friend above. Thefemales ar every similar to the young males.
Educational pics, Bruce! BTW it's not a female but a male who is just starting to change plumage - note the dark blue patch on his neck.

The males check out each other's bowers - and they also steal from each other's collections and sometimes destroy each other's bowers as well! The young males seem to learn a lot from the older ones.
11-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
BTW it's not a female but a male who is just starting to change plumage - note the dark blue patch on his neck

Thanks Rob for the clarification. The folk I was with were unsure too.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Well captured, Bruce.
Thanks Richard. It certainly is a grand part of the world. It was my first trip to that area and I loved every moment.

11-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
. Thanks Rob for the clarification. The folk I was with were unsure too.
Welcome! Most of the time it's hard to tell but luckily he's just about to change colour. Mind you, if you see a green bird collecting blue things and practicing his song and dance routine, chances are it's a male.
11-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Browsing through my files I found what looks to be a female inspecting the bower of the adult male.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That eye is a really stunning shade of blue. Beautiful bird.

11-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

fantastic series Bruce, agree with Susan those eyes are amazing.
cheers
11-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really enjoyed the thread and learned a bit too Bruce, beautiful birds, well photographed.