Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wrapped up tight
Lens: DA 55-300 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 11-21-2013, 04:55 AM

Part of a mob of kangaroos that live about 2km from my place.
Views: 1,754
11-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's what I call stuffed.
11-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Shot RobG, why is it everytime i see a pic of a kangaroo, that the skippy song starts playing in my head?
11-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That's what I call stuffed.
Lucky joeys are flexible - I don't think I'd be comfortable with my feet beside my head like that!

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Nice Shot RobG, why is it everytime i see a pic of a kangaroo, that the skippy song starts playing in my head?
Haven't thought of that show for ages! I grew up not far from the place where the original series was filmed (and yes they did use film in those days). I believe all the kangaroos used were female.

11-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A well timed capture.
11-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's a mum thing, just look at the face it says don't mess with my boy.
11-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

I only get to see these beautiful animals in a zoo, thanks for sharing.

11-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A well timed capture.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It's a mum thing, just look at the face it says don't mess with my boy.
You're right - she doesn't look very happy!

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdog2 Quote
I only get to see these beautiful animals in a zoo, thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! I like to see them in the wild, but I wish they weren't quite so close to suburbia - a lot of close encounters with cars. Unfortunately, kangaroo-proof fencing is generally prohibitively expensive.
11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went for a walk at the same spot today - this will give yo an idea how close these kangaroos are to suburbia.

11-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it.
11-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I like it.
Thanks Bruce!
11-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great focus on the baby, that is really something they come/live that close to the city. Do people feed them, normally wild animals would stay away.
11-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
great focus on the baby, that is really something they come/live that close to the city. Do people feed them, normally wild animals would stay away.
Thanks Bob! Kangaroos are the "cows" of Australia. They'll go anywhere that there's grass to eat. Canberra has quite a few reserves all through the populated areas, and from what I've seen, each of them has a mob of Grey Kangaroos. There's a few Swamp Wallabies and Red Necked Wallabies too, but they're generally further away from suburbia. The freshly cut grass along the edges of major roads attract the kangaroos and sadly leads to quite a lot of accidents. Since they eat grass, Kangaroos aren't usually interested in human food. Of course, the well tended lawns around the edges of suburbia also attract the kangaroos at night, depending on the season. If it's dry in the countryside and natural grass is scarce, they'll come into the suburbs more. Kangaroos are also protected species, so you need a license and quota to cull them, especially in the ACT. The combination of protected woodland and protected kangaroos means that there's a pretty large population. I don't know of any other capital sity in Australia which has so many. There's few avan around the outer edges of Sydney. I don't think there's many to be found around Melbourne. I've seen some kangaroos and wallabies around the forested areas in the outer areas of Brisbane however. I also don't remember seeing any kangaroos or wallabies close to Adelaide or Darwin, and I haven't been to Perth, so I can't say. Hobart may get some wallabies around the outskirts.

Female kangaroos have an amazing adaptation to Australia's variable climate - they can have a young joey out of the pouch, a much smaller one in the pouch, and an embryo in development, waiting for suitable conditions. As soon as the grass grows, they can have another baby without having to chase a male. So, when there's rain, the population can grow very quickly. Other than humans, there's not much in the way of predators for Grey Kangaroos - some small joeys may be taken by feral foxes and cats, even fewer by eagles, and some by dingoes or wild dogs. Personally I think we should be farming kangaroos rather than cattle - the meat is healthier and the kangaroos are better for the environment!
11-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks Bob! Kangaroos are the "cows" of Australia. They'll go anywhere that there's grass to eat. Canberra has quite a few reserves all through the populated areas, and from what I've seen, each of them has a mob of Grey Kangaroos. There's a few Swamp Wallabies and Red Necked Wallabies too, but they're generally further away from suburbia. The freshly cut grass along the edges of major roads attract the kangaroos and sadly leads to quite a lot of accidents. Since they eat grass, Kangaroos aren't usually interested in human food. Of course, the well tended lawns around the edges of suburbia also attract the kangaroos at night, depending on the season. If it's dry in the countryside and natural grass is scarce, they'll come into the suburbs more. Kangaroos are also protected species, so you need a license and quota to cull them, especially in the ACT. The combination of protected woodland and protected kangaroos means that there's a pretty large population. I don't know of any other capital sity in Australia which has so many. There's few avan around the outer edges of Sydney. I don't think there's many to be found around Melbourne. I've seen some kangaroos and wallabies around the forested areas in the outer areas of Brisbane however. I also don't remember seeing any kangaroos or wallabies close to Adelaide or Darwin, and I haven't been to Perth, so I can't say. Hobart may get some wallabies around the outskirts.

Female kangaroos have an amazing adaptation to Australia's variable climate - they can have a young joey out of the pouch, a much smaller one in the pouch, and an embryo in development, waiting for suitable conditions. As soon as the grass grows, they can have another baby without having to chase a male. So, when there's rain, the population can grow very quickly. Other than humans, there's not much in the way of predators for Grey Kangaroos - some small joeys may be taken by feral foxes and cats, even fewer by eagles, and some by dingoes or wild dogs. Personally I think we should be farming kangaroos rather than cattle - the meat is healthier and the kangaroos are better for the environment!
thanks so much Rob, I really enjoy PK because like this thread you can learn so much of our friends in other countries. I know this isn't much of a response to your answer, but I am going to share this thread with my grandchildren who will really enjoy it. thanks Bob
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Interesting to note that in the ACT they're looked up to.

Down in Vic (I grew up in country Vic) they're considered somewhat of a pest and culled, they are often then sold off for use in pet food.

Not everybody thinks the culling is a good idea (which I understand fully), but in some areas their numbers have far outgrown the ability of the land to support them, so a lot end up starving to death. So culling is seen as the humane option (rather than starvation)