Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
floral from MIFGS
Posted By: JrPentax, 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM

This is basically a duplicate post from https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/23607-what-mak...er-shot-2.html BUT here i am looking for some feedback - i have attatched comments on each picture...

thanks muchly

THE BACKGROUND: so i went along to the flower show in melbourn and took some pictures...

the pictures are at A day @ MIF and GS
and include details on each the settings used etc...

all pictures were taking with a K10D and zoom ranged from 18 - 300 and macro over a couple of sigma lenses....

i just like this - i looked at it for quite a while before i noticed the background at all, so i guess it kind of captivated me...

what i liked about this collection of sunflowers is the way that they change angle accross each other to give me such a lovley collection of angles right there in one shot...

one thing about the flower show in general was the ability to be able to take shots with wonderfull backgrounds as well as forgrounds, it really did lay out the flowers for me in a way i think that helped the shots a lot more... here is a typical example of that... you can imagine that this is really pushing me to get a lense i can decrease the fstop on further - HOWEVER i will be taking the tripod and attempting some blury backrounds on the weekend...

i really like this tulip picture

it keeps me looking at it - i also like the head on tulip picture as well - but this one side on seems to attract my eye a lot more...

this sot of the swan on the lake is amazing because it was totally hand held - it really amazed me that i was still abel to get such clarity

its actually about the size that it is because i had to crop out a lot of the background - you can actually see the size in one of the other less croped shots (number 40)... so this is pretty well all the way in on just a tiny section of the picture

i really like this picture as a picture but am a little upset that its still blury - obviously i couldnt hold it so still on this angle...

i filled two 2gig sd cards taking these shots, every time i took a shot i bracketed it (except the swan/duck pictures) - i have three cards but one of them was half full already

i have my bracketing set to under normal over - with 1.5 steps, a lot of my unders were blury, probably from the pushing the button, the normals were all pretty good, and the overs seemed un-necessary, if i had more sd space i would probably go for 5 shot bracketing with 0.5 steps - i am thinking about swaping the order for my next shots to over normal under because i am finding the overs to be far to out of focus and i would rather waste the blur there and keep the unders as a lot of them looked great except for the motion blur of being handheld....

i selected 200 iso for the whole days shooting and think it went a long way to making the hand helds doable....

i dont know what you think though, but thats how i achieved each of the shots above - you can click on the link to see all 55 pictures that i decided i liked from the shots.... each shot shows the relevant meta data that i think is iportant to getting decent assistence with photographs...

actually i would love to hear from others what camera settings they use to acheive certain photos, i think that is really helpfull information :-)

Further to my problems i found that i had to step back from a lot of shots or zoom in less... the focus often wouldnt lock on... i guess ill get used to it eventually but sugestions regarding that would also be welcome

once more - thanks in advance for the feedback and comments on these pictures
Views: 1,435
04-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice series.

#1 the flower is a little too centered. Rules of third would make that a better picture or crop to completely isolate the flower.
#2 I really like good color, sharpness and framing best of the bunch IMHO
#3 doesn't do anything for me find it too busy - but what do I know
#4 is another great shot
#5 Duck feathers are a little blown out, some detail lost
#6 is a very nice shot , looks a little soft to me

The opinions here are mine and are purely subjective ! Well done.