Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My wife!
Posted By: SLC Flyfishing, 04-03-2008, 10:52 AM

I took this one last night. I'm about ready to start applying to Med school and it's starting to sink in with my wife and I that we're likely going to be moving away from our home for the next 8 years at least. We've both grown up here, and we've started our life together here as well as our family. It's sad to think that we'll be leaving friends and family behind. We feel very connected to our home town and I think this photo conveys the reluctance to leave very well.

C&C requested!

SLC
Views: 2,113
04-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #2

Why don't you go to the U of U med school? My brother graduated from it and never regretted the decision. It doesn't much matter which US medical school one graduates from, you will still get a good job. It's not like law or MBA programs in which where you go to school can be career makers or breakers.
04-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That will be my first choice, I am applying there! But I'll apply to 15-20 others so odds are that I'll be leaving home.

SLC
04-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the best things in life require sacrifice. I have been relearning that lesson over and over again for years. Remember what's important and things will be good in the end. Cool photo. I was born in SLC at the Primary Children's Hospital and would love to live there again, but my wife has reservations.

04-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SLC Flyfishing Quote
That will be my first choice, I am applying there! But I'll apply to 15-20 others so odds are that I'll be leaving home.

SLC
It's all an adventure, and I wish you the very best! If you applied at the University of Washington in Seattle I can tell you that you and your wife would LOVE Seattle and the UW. I worked for UW Medicine and it is amazing!
04-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SLC, nicely done. The idea and composition are great.
I'd have preferred to see your wife glance over to the camera, or off to the side where her face is included as she seems to be the subject of the photo.

I wonder if the image could be made to 'pop' with a little PP like increasing a little exposure, more contrast and saturation. Then perhaps some lighting effects to highlight your subject could be experimented with.

On med school, all the best SLC.
It's a hard slog but is certainly achievable.
I managed to get through it with my wife giving birth to 2 kids in 3rd and 4th year. I knew I was not going to get top marks - sacrifices needed to be made to make the family unit work, but I'm through that stage now and enjoying being an intern in this regional town we've moved to.

Consider your other half's preferences and make the right choice for the both of you. (Compromise is for marriage, but not for lens quality)
And enjoy the vocation of medicine!
04-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Forum Member

really nice composition!

04-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and the well wishes everyone!

SLC
04-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very poignat photo and best of luck at Med School !
04-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

good luck with med school. your wife must be very patient to sit there for 30 second!
04-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by YarPcola Quote
Why don't you go to the U of U med school? My brother graduated from it and never regretted the decision. It doesn't much matter which US medical school one graduates from, you will still get a good job. It's not like law or MBA programs in which where you go to school can be career makers or breakers.
What do you call a doctor who graduated from a second-rate medical school (not implying anything about UU)?

Doctor.

What do you call a lawyer who graduated from a second-rate law school?

Esquire.

Brinton, I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go.