Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
The birds… all puffed up. The continuing saga.
Lens: A-400 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 11-24-2013, 01:32 PM

We have Feb. weather here in November, -11C. which is about 12 F for you Yanks… The birds are trying to puff up their down coats to stay warm.

These guys are obviously doing things that don't require so much puffing.

No Nuthatch today, he didn't stay long enough to get a good picture.
Views: 1,068
11-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We got our first real snowfall this weekend. Topped out about -2C.
11-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's looking like it's going to snow every day for a while here, and stay cold. It's going to be a nasty winter.
11-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice ones, Norm - and here we are in TX complaining about 34F and possible sleet.....

11-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bet those little guys are wishing for warm slippers for their feet! Great images, Norm, TFS!

@paul .. hey, everbody in Miami is looking at a 58F low for Wednesday and scrambling for their winter coats...
11-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Nice ones, Norm - and here we are in TX complaining about 34F and possible sleet.....
I saw the football game from Oklahoma State last night, compared to here it looked balmy.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Bet those little guys are wishing for warm slippers for their feet! Great images, Norm, TFS!

@paul .. hey, everbody in Miami is looking at a 58F low for Wednesday and scrambling for their winter coats...
Birds have this thing , where before they pump blood to their feet, they take all the heat out of it, then re-warm it when they bring it back into their bodies, so I guess their feet don't really feel cold. They are much better suited to not having slippers than we are. Thanks for commenting.
11-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That is one spectacular series of images Norm. Really, really well done. Hope you are going to print and hang a few. I see you are also getting them in natural surrounding. Well done.

11-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice, Norm.

Just to warm you up, I'm outside, dressed in only a pair of shorts, having a cup of tea whilst reading the forum on the iPad.

It's nearly 9am and it's 20 deg C. However, on Thursday they forecast 36 deg C.
11-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That is one spectacular series of images Norm. Really, really well done. Hope you are going to print and hang a few. I see you are also getting them in natural surrounding. Well done.
The little birds like those trees on the deck so much, Tess was saying, we should have put them there before.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Very nice, Norm.

Just to warm you up, I'm outside, dressed in only a pair of shorts, having a cup of tea whilst reading the forum on the iPad.

It's nearly 9am and it's 20 deg C. However, on Thursday they forecast 36 deg C.
Why are you doing this to me? I was just out gathering kindling to start the fires for the night…. long John's under my lined pants, sweatshirt and heavy quilted canvas work coat…. but hey, the fires are going, I'll be as toasty as you real soon.
11-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm, these look especially cool to me. I'm curious about the light - there seem to be subtle, almost elusive, dollops of sunlight (late day?) - not glaring forcing an unpleasant contrast. I really dig the effect.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
And here I am in SE Texas complaining about 48F (8+C). When I lived up north, I'd take advantage 48F days this time of year to wash the car . The long range winter forecast for our area call for above average temperatures - right now, I'm struggling to have faith in the forecasters.

Jer
11-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always amazes me how they make it like that with bare feet, too, in weather we'd not last long in. Amazing animals, so adapted to climate and food sources (not feeders!). Then some stay and others go very far away. I love birds.
11-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great series Norm I would take -12 without wind any time ...earlier this week was Alberta brutal (windchill into the mid -30's) but the weekend we were above 0 C so a nice break indeed.
11-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Norm, these look especially cool to me. I'm curious about the light - there seem to be subtle, almost elusive, dollops of sunlight (late day?) - not glaring forcing an unpleasant contrast. I really dig the effect.

Jer

And here I am in SE Texas complaining about 48F (8+C). When I lived up north, I'd take advantage 48F days this time of year to wash the car . The long range winter forecast for our area call for above average temperatures - right now, I'm struggling to have faith in the forecasters.

Jer
I always try and get out when the sun has started falling, but just before it gets too dark to get a fast enough exposure to freeze the birds. Also the sun at that time is coming through tree branches and is at right angles to my lens. In the morning the sun is more behind me, , brighter and harder to deal with. Especially since I'm usually sleeping.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Always amazes me how they make it like that with bare feet, too, in weather we'd not last long in. Amazing animals, so adapted to climate and food sources (not feeders!). Then some stay and others go very far away. I love birds.
Around here, they are our constant source of entertainment.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great series Norm I would take -12 without wind any time ...earlier this week was Alberta brutal (windchill into the mid -30's) but the weekend we were above 0 C so a nice break indeed.
We got -22 the other night and the wind chill has been below -20 for quite a while. No breaks in site for us. And I had to get out the plow yesterday. Looks like my efforts to ignore the white substance that shall not be named until after Christmas have failed miserably.
11-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

A very fine series Norm.Right now it's 16 degs and windy and late Tues.It's supposed to be warm 60's with a raging rainy Nor' Easter.Go figure.--zapper
11-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very fine series Norm.Right now it's 16 degs and windy and late Tues.It's supposed to be warm 60's with a raging rainy Nor' Easter.Go figure.--zapper
Thanks Charlie, they keep offering us warmer weather and then a cancelling it before it gets here. We usually don't get weather like this until after Christmas.