Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not a good place to stand
Lens: Sigma 12-24 ii Camera: SD1 Merrill Photo Location: ASU ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: scratchpaddy, 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Ever feel like the world's falling down on your head?

Or maybe this is a dream, within a dream, within...
Views: 965
11-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dream or nightmare? Nice shot.
11-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Den
Veteran Member

Must be tough on the people inside. Have to strap themselves to their chairs LOL
11-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another monument to architectural genius. I pity the poor sods who have to clean the windows. Still, you could have fun over the looming atmosphere it might create on a cloudy day with a suitable wide angle or fisheye.

11-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Dream or nightmare? Nice shot.
Thanks Albert. Either way, it will be over quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Must be tough on the people inside. Have to strap themselves to their chairs LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Another monument to architectural genius. I pity the poor sods who have to clean the windows. Still, you could have fun over the looming atmosphere it might create on a cloudy day with a suitable wide angle or fisheye.
Geez, I didn't think of that. How do they clean those windows?

You're right, you could get a lot of interesting angles on this building. Colleges, especially big ones like Arizona State, are like architectural playgrounds. Here's a broader angle on the building, to give a better idea of the whole structure. It's an inverted pyramid:

Oh, the "dream" comment was a reference to the movie Inception. If you haven't seen it, well, you should, but if you haven't, the poster shows the exact scene this building reminded me of:

11-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The CIT building in Herndon, VA, just outside the Dulles airport, is an inverted pyramid like that but less extreme angles.
11-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another triumph of design over functionality

11-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, a triumph of styling, rather than design. I dare say it kept the design engineers busy.
11-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Just looking at the photo makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd be scared to stand by it.
11-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least, you can point your camera upwards and not get converging verticals. It's weird from any angle!
11-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The CIT building in Herndon, VA, just outside the Dulles airport, is an inverted pyramid like that but less extreme angles.
Wow, lots of weird angles there! Thanks for the link.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Another triumph of design over functionality
Well, it would be a boring world if function always triumphed, but this is going pretty far.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, a triumph of styling, rather than design. I dare say it kept the design engineers busy.
Indeed. One thing that might not be obvious in the pictures: that pointy concrete tower on the right in the second picture is a fire escape. Apparently, a central staircase isn't enough when the most-occupied floor is also the furthest from the exits, or maybe the codes demand something external. Can't have an external staircase hug the side of the building when it's at a 45° angle.

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Just looking at the photo makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd be scared to stand by it.
A little scary, but exciting.

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
At least, you can point your camera upwards and not get converging verticals. It's weird from any angle!
Very good point!