Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sleek Machines
Lens: Sigma 18-35 Camera: SD1 Merrill Photo Location: Phoenix Convention Center ISO: 200 Aperture: F1.8 
Posted By: scratchpaddy, 11-28-2013, 10:55 PM

There's a big auto show in town this holiday weekend, running from today (Thanksgiving) until Sunday. I stopped by yesterday, as they were setting up. It's not as big as the ones in Detroit or L.A., but hey, we get by. I couldn't go into the big rooms with the booths yet, but the lobby was very much open to whoever wandered in. Funny, I was the only one.

Still outside, this Lincoln MKZ was already in position. I'm pretty sure they'll keep it there. It's a good spot, and I'm sure the Ford Motor Co. gets access to lots of good spots.

I think these cars were just waiting to come inside. Nice, but these are for the peasants.

Ah, here we go. A Lamborghini Gallardo! Sign says it's only $238,020. Apparently it's on loan from a dealership only 25 miles from my apartments. I'm sure they'll let you go for a test drive, but you have to sign over your soul first.

Oh, can't go wrong with a Maserati Granturismo.

This little corner wouldn't be complete without a Ferrari. A 458 Italia, in this case.

I see we have a posh Englishman mingling with these fine Italians. This Aston Martin Vanquish costs even more than that Lamborghini.
Why are they all white? I don't like white.

Hey, yellow! Yellow's good. Nothing screams PLEASE PULL ME OVER AND GIVE ME A TICKET NOW like a yellow Ferrari 458 Spyder.

You know, I drove one of these once. In a video game. It gets excellent mileage. Runs on pure imagination.

Good, more English vehicles. The Rolls Royce Phantom is one of the few modern cars to still use suicide-- er, sorry, coach doors.

Please don't forget:

Views: 998
11-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not a fan of Lincolns, but that top shot is superb!
11-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
photographing autos is a tough thing and you did a great job, especially with the lighting conditions. Thanks for sharing the dreams of many. Ferrari's should always be dressed in red.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 11-29-2013 at 10:49 AM.
11-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really dig the composition of the first one. I also enjoyed the shot of the black Lambo; a few weeks ago, I rode shotgun with a race driver on a track with a Gallardo - the term super car is apt, indeed. I'm with you, white Ferraris seem like a bit of a visual non sequitur.

Jer

11-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Ferrari's should always be dressed in red
Well said you beat me to it.

'Ferrari Red' or "Rosso Corsa' is a shade of Red that is 100% saturated and 100% bright.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Ferrari. A 458 Italia
Great shots, but really I despair a white Ferrari.
11-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I like that Granturismo shot!
11-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow do I really need to live in a house ?

11-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Not a fan of Lincolns, but that top shot is superb!
Thank you! I like a few of their cars, including the re-designed MKZ pictured, but some of them have way too much chrome-plated plastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
photographing autos is a tough thing and you did a great job, especially with the lighting conditions. Thanks for sharing the dreams of many. Ferrari's should always be dressed in red.
Thanks Bob. I'm afraid these cars occupy the dreams of many, and there they remain, forever. About the lighting: it was dark, but those black railings made excellent camera stabilizers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I really dig the composition of the first one. I also enjoyed the shot of the black Lambo; a few weeks ago, I rode shotgun with a race driver on a track with a Gallardo - the term super car is apt, indeed. I'm with you, white Ferraris seem like a bit of a visual non sequitur.
Ooh, I'm jealous. You've made me realize that I've never ridden in a fast car before. Ever. I got to sit in a few yesterday, when I actually went to the show, but never a moving car.
11-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
'Ferrari Red' or "Rosso Corsa' is a shade of Red that is 100% saturated and 100% bright.

Great shots, but really I despair a white Ferrari.
It's a shame, isn't it? There was one red one there (a California), but the picture I took of it wasn't focused right. I guess the camera was overwhelmed.

I really don't like white on any car. It's like they couldn't decide on a color, and just left it uncolored. It feels incomplete. I can't figure out why it's the most popular color in the world. It's awful. The Lexus booth was especially offensive:

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I like that Granturismo shot!
Thanks! That's my second-favorite picture. Even though it's white.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow do I really need to live in a house ?
Nah, there's plenty of room in the back of that Rolls Royce.
11-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mmmm, white cars happen to be MY favorite....

Thanks for sharing your shots, very well done.
11-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Mmmm, white cars happen to be MY favorite....

Thanks for sharing your shots, very well done.
Oh well, to each his own... er, her own. Thanks for the compliment.