Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kims New Bargain Macro (6 pics)
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 04-04-2008, 10:40 PM

This last week I found myself a macro lens at an Estate Sale. It was only $25.00 bucks.. I couldn't pass it up.. Although it is knockoff and only a 3.8 but it is AF and has an adaptor. The lens is a Promaster 100MM f3.8 Macro lens with an 1:1 adaptor.

I was soo tickled when I found it hidden in a sea of Canon and Nikon lens... There were a few Pentax lens but they were overpriced (IMO) or out of my price range....

Here are the first pics with the new lens..... Most of these have just been loaded form the camera.. a couple have a bit of cropping and some curves work done to them but that is about it... Enjoy.. I know I have been.. But it is tricky to get the focus right.. for sure..

#1 is a snow crocus.. There has been no Processing on this one...

#2 and #3 some purple Hyacinth blossoms..

#4 and #5 have had some curve work and a bit of a crop.. and alittle touching up on #5 (dirt on flower)..

#6 is a shamrock plant blossom with no PP

I am already fond of this lens and it will be a good one to get me started... It has already made a home in my camera bag.. My bargain macro... Hope you enjoy the pics..

Kim
Views: 2,492
04-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What a beautiful series Kim, 1, 3 and 6 are my favorites. I really love the color in #1. You have picked up a real bargain, well done
04-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those were all very beautiful. I have used this lens a few times and it is a good performer. Great photos.
04-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great series of shots with nice sharpness and good OOF areas. Well done and great bargin find!

Dave, I've had the Cosina f3.5 macro that was rebadged as a Vivitar and a Promaster and also was the FA100mm F3.5. Is this the same lens? Kim says it's f3.8. both had the macro (filter) adapters as well. I had the Promaster with the adapter and it was a pretty good lens optically. Build quality was not quite a pentax standard though.
Wouldn't mind seeing a shot of the lens Kim if you have the time, just out of curiousity.

04-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wonderful series, I really like the light and colours in the first three.
04-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

YAY Kim! I am so happy for you What a great find and wonderful job you are doing with it already! Cant wait to see more pics soon!
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great series Kim , good find. Love the Shamrock but they are all good.

04-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Kim, you certainly got a good bargin on this one. I love the first shot, the color and detail are excellent. It's great when you can stumble across items like this.
04-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

Really nice Kim.
derm
04-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea and hooray Kim! Welcome to the wonderful world of macro photography. Nice shots. I've found macro work a fustrating but rewarding branch of photograhpy. For me part of the fun is trying to figure out what to leave in focus and what to leave out.

NaCl(and moving the camera just a bit gives whole new vistas!)H2O
04-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You seem to have lots of fun with this macro lens. I think the worst thing one can do is to leave the lenses in the cabinet idle for years before it appears on ebay. (The fate of my many lenses )
04-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great series of shots with nice sharpness and good OOF areas. Well done and great bargin find!

Dave, I've had the Cosina f3.5 macro that was rebadged as a Vivitar and a Promaster and also was the FA100mm F3.5. Is this the same lens? Kim says it's f3.8. both had the macro (filter) adapters as well. I had the Promaster with the adapter and it was a pretty good lens optically. Build quality was not quite a pentax standard though.
Wouldn't mind seeing a shot of the lens Kim if you have the time, just out of curiousity.
Sorry Peter it is my typo.. The lens is actually a 3.5. I will get a pic of it soon for you if you still want to see it.... I have some shots that I took on wednesday that are (for me) GREAT shots.. I will probably post them tomorrow sometime.... I will let you decide if they are pentax quality of not..

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Yea and hooray Kim! Welcome to the wonderful world of macro photography. Nice shots. I've found macro work a fustrating but rewarding branch of photograhpy. For me part of the fun is trying to figure out what to leave in focus and what to leave out.

NaCl(and moving the camera just a bit gives whole new vistas!)H2O
I here you Salty.. That was the hardest part to get used to. a small tilt gives you a totally different picture... and trying to get more than one flower at a time to focus in... I dont think its possible.. esspecially if they are just a bit off from one another..

but Hey.. that is what practice is for!!!! LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You seem to have lots of fun with this macro lens. I think the worst thing one can do is to leave the lenses in the cabinet idle for years before it appears on ebay. (The fate of my many lenses )
Well siad Roentarre!!! For me lenses just cost to much to be left on the shelf.... I figure that I am set for awhile now.. I have a wide angle (kit lens), my 80 -200, and now my Macro.... Hell... I am a happy woman!!!!!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and congrats on my bargain lens!!! I am anxious to get out and play with it some more!!!!

Happy Pentax day everyone!!! Kim
04-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #13
Bud
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Kim and great colors!

Macro has become my favorite obsession with photography... summertime, blooms and bugs... lots and lots of bugs...

Great find on your lens... have fun!

Bud
04-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like you got a real bargain, Kim. Great shots with great color. Because of the shallow depth of field with my macro lens, I'm lousy at hand held shots with the thing and almost always use a tripod. Others on the forum, Salty included, seem to be able to hand hold macros with ease.

Jer
04-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The Promaster isn't really a knock-off - It IS another lens with the Promaster name on it, not a COPY of another lens in some attempt to fool you. Few things I know, it should have sold for the same price as the 'name brand' but however offers a lifetime warranty versus the name brand 1 year or 6 year, etc.