Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dry & Wet
Lens: FA 28 Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 12-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Autumn is usually our driest season here in East Tennessee, so not the best time for waterfall watching. . But we've already had one good snow (!) and a few days of heavy rain. One of those rainiest days I had a few spare moments to head on up Dry Creek in nearby Greene County. It certainly wasn't dry this time!

There are many small splashes and riffles along the creek - here's one that's usually a trickle!

This is an area of complex geology - some very interesting rock strata along the creek...

It took some careful wading and climbing to get a good angle on this little waterfall. Again, it's usually just a tall trickle of water, but was quite swollen with the downpour...

Heavy downpours continued to raise the creek levels as we approached Margarette Falls. Was glad to have a WR camera, but wishing for a WR lens, and a "FR" ("fog-resistent") polarizer! Filter kept fogging up (and getting sprayed by the waterfall) faster than I could wipe it, so all these shots are quite hazy. Not sure if I like the effect or not - would really appreciate your input on these!

Hike back down was a good test of raincoat and boots, but a bit too wet for any more snapshots. Hope you enjoyed the wet photos, and thanks for any comments & critique!
Views: 726
12-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice images. You got that frothy water down pretty good.
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great SS and softness to the photos gives an interesting damp feel to the photos.
12-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Love waterfalls and these are beautiful.

12-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Love the sweep of the water in the first image--great composition. As for WR lenses, today is the kind of day that makes owning the new 20-40 Limited and the DA* 50-135 seem really reasonable , but only if you had an extra couch for me to crash on (and/or were willing to really ramp up my bushcraft skills.)

Addendum: speaking of Margarette Falls, did you get called out on the rescue Friday? Glad it appears to have had a happy ending, but I'm sure it came close to being a body recovery.

Last edited by CreationBear; 12-07-2013 at 08:11 AM.
12-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Colbyt - Thanks! Plenty of opportunities to take snapshots of flowing water here in the Tennessee hills!

Bob - Thanks so much!

Susan - We in East Tennessee are indeed blessed with many lovely waterfalls.

CreationBear - First was my favorite of the day as well - took me a while to find just the right perspective on that one (got pretty thoroughly soaked trying to find it too!) Maybe the 18-55 WR would be more reasonable! (Or, at least, our spouses would think so...)
To answer your question, no I was not involved in that rescue. State Park staff was available, but not needed in this case. The young man was certainly fortunate & blessed that weather conditions held off long enough, and that a professional and dedicated crew was so persistent.
12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love your work. Well done.
12-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done, you created that creamy effect of water with a slower shutter speed that makes these shots.

06-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #9

The photos are enchanting specially the continuity of flowing water captured by using slower shutter speeds. Keep it up.
06-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Amazing series. Did you use some ND filter or it was dark enough for the slow shutter speed?