Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Hairy vs Downy
Lens: Sigma 70-300 macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 800 
Posted By: normhead, 12-06-2013, 05:09 PM

I while ago Tess told me there was a discussion I might be interested in on the identity of a woodpecker, some said Downey, some said Hairy.

Today during my "blind time" when i sit out in the blind and see who comes to visit, a couple of Hairy woodpeckers came and I got a picture of one.

There are two points of interest besides the size, and it's really hard to judge the size when you aren't seeing both at the same time. One being the how broad the bill is at the base, the other being the dark stripes on the tail feathers.

I'm concentrating mostly on the tail feathers. Here are four different angles of the tail feathers showing the stripes.

I backed the lens out to 260mm to get all the hairy in frame, and I should have gone to 200mm, the Downy pictures are taken at full reach, 300mm. The Downy bill also appears to be much shorter, proportionately.

The nuthatch has nothing to do with this, but he was my other capture of the day.

I captured a couple of clear tail images today... the Downy with the stripes the Hairy with no stripes... Updated March 15, 2014.

Hairy

Downy

Last edited by normhead; 03-15-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Views: 3,000
12-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I while ago Tess told me there was a discussion I might be interested in on the identity of a woodpecker, some said Downey, some said Hairy.

Today during my "blind time" when i sit out in the blind and see who comes to visit, a couple of Hairy woodpeckers came and I got a picture of one.

There are two points of interest besides the size, and it's really hard to judge the size when you aren't seeing both at the same time. One being the how broad the bill is at the base, the other being the dark stripes on the tail feathers.

I'm concentrating mostly on the tail feathers. Here are four different angles of the tail feathers showing the stripes.

The Downy bill also appears to be much shorter, proportionately.
The most useful rule of thumb for separating Hairy and Downy (other than the stripes on the outer tail feathers) that I have heard is: if the length of the bill is half of the length of the head it's a Downy; if the length of the bill is almost the same as the length of the head it's a Hairy. With that method you don't need to have the two species side-by-side.

I guess the stripes on the outer tail feathers rule is not as hard and fast as I thought. In W. Earl Godfrey's revised (1986) "Birds of Canada" (published by National Museums of Canada) he states that some Hairies on the Island of Newfoundland and along southern coastal British Columbia (where the species is darker than other parts of North America) have dark stripes on the outer tail feathers. The late Godfrey, as curator of birds at the National Museum, was a very thorough student of birds, so I have no reason to doubt him.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 12-06-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: omission
12-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The call is different too, deeper, or fuller sound. Great photos. We get mostly Downy's here, but occasionally a Hairy. Haven't had either so far this year, and the suet is out.
12-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The most useful rule of thumb for separating Hairy and Downy (other than the stripes on the outer tail feathers) that I have heard is: if the length of the bill is half of the length of the head it's a Downy; if the length of the bill is almost the same as the length of the head it's a Hairy. With that method you don't need to have the two species side-by-side.

I guess the stripes on the outer tail feathers rule is not as hard and fast as I thought. In W. Earl Godfrey's revised (1986) "Birds of Canada" (published by National Museums of Canada) he states that some Hairies on the Island of Newfoundland and along southern coastal British Columbia (where the species is darker than other parts of North America) have dark stripes on the outer tail feathers. The late Godfrey, as curator of birds at the National Museum, was a very thorough student of birds, so I have no reason to doubt him.
SOunds like the birds are trying to confuse us.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
The call is different too, deeper, or fuller sound. Great photos. We get mostly Downy's here, but occasionally a Hairy. Haven't had either so far this year, and the suet is out.
We seem to get some every year, I'm pretty sure the two Downy woodpeckers hatched this summer. The Hairies I think are from the year before.

12-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

we certainly don't have these beauties here, we only have ravens, roadrunners and hummingbirds. great shots Norm.
12-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I hate learning something new this early in the morning as it doesn't stay in my head until I have consumed all my coffee. I did however thoroughly enjoy the photos. Good stuff Norm.
12-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I hate learning something new this early in the morning as it doesn't stay in my head until I have consumed all my coffee. I did however thoroughly enjoy the photos. Good stuff Norm.
Thanks for the comment, I guess you're just have to come back and read it later when you're awake.

12-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

These are some excellent illustrations of the difference between the species, as well as excellent photos in general. You should start a field guide to backyard birds!
01-03-2014, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
These are some excellent illustrations of the difference between the species, as well as excellent photos in general. You should start a field guide to backyard birds!
We have an excellent book called Birds of Algonquin Park, by Ron Tozer, who used to be the park naturalist. Since Algonquin Park is East, West and North of us. So it's pretty much been covered. We don't have half the species he has in his book. But it's a charming Idea.
01-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Brilliant series.
01-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks...
03-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thread, updated.
03-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thread, updated.
I missed this thread the first time around. Thanks for updating.

Tim
03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I missed this thread the first time around. Thanks for updating.

Tim
I took a couple images within the last month, I was in the blind, the Hairy came and i took a few pictures, then the Downey came, so instead of zooming in bit, I used the exact same set-up to show the size difference. Now I can't find the images.... the best laid plans of mice and men....

ah ha, found them.... largest to smallest....
Hairy Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

White Breasted Nuthatch

Chickadee

Red Breasted Nuthatch

All to scale. All the suet post feeders.

Last edited by normhead; 03-24-2015 at 12:38 PM.
03-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have sibley's petersons and national geographic guides and all of them stress that while the hairy "Usually" has white side tail feathers, this is not always the case, with local varieties, and that the black spots or bars on the downy may not always be displayed (I.e. Hidden)

All guides stress the fact that the downy has a much smaller bill proportional to body size, compared to the hairy woodpecker