Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New and improved (CR) Needed
Posted By: Photo Tramp, 09-24-2006, 02:14 PM

I'm Still working to improve my skills in Painter essentials (3), I'm posting these two to see if you all think there is an improvement.

And this is a new one.

Tell me what you think Please.

Last edited by Photo Tramp; 09-30-2006 at 04:24 AM.
Views: 2,848
09-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I preferred your first treatment of the re-enactor. Something more like that, but with the pale area in the background cloned out, would work better in my opinion. Of course, she's very pretty so I don't think you can really screw it up too badly, no matter what you do!

Both of these seem a little busy on account of the textures. I'm a big fan of simplicity (I know, you'd never know from reading what I write) and these filters to me just add visual noise. The first rendering of the re-enactor simplified the image, which to me is a Good Thing. Cloning out that distracting whatever-it-is would further simplify it, and the painting-like filter would help disguise the fact that the background has been altered.

I hope that helps! I really like your re-enactor, I'm sure you'll figure out the perfect pp eventually.

Julie
09-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the effects on the second pic, but I agree with Julie on the first. I think the previous version was better by far

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2006, 01:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
New and improved.

After looking at the lovely lady picture again I think your both right. However I thought the effect was diffrent this time. I'm trying to get more of a painting look and I need to find a way to get the brush stroaks to show up better.

I just downloaded the Painter Essentials 4.5 and there are some vast improvements in the program. I'm going to keep playing with diffrent varriations and see if I can get the right mix. I really like the program for what it can do and I'm thinking about being able to use it in a proffitable venture. I did read in the add that Corel has that this version supports Wacom and that might be my next serious investment. I know Tracy had said in another thread she had gotten the Wacom for her daughter. If possable Tracy download the trial version (which is a full version) and see if the Wacom responds well to the program. I'd be interested in seeing some of her work with it.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

09-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I just downloaded the Painter Essentials 4.5 and there are some vast improvements in the program. I'm going to keep playing with diffrent varriations and see if I can get the right mix. I really like the program for what it can do and I'm thinking about being able to use it in a proffitable venture. I did read in the add that Corel has that this version supports Wacom and that might be my next serious investment. I know Tracy had said in another thread she had gotten the Wacom for her daughter. If possable Tracy download the trial version (which is a full version) and see if the Wacom responds well to the program. I'd be interested in seeing some of her work with it.

Good Shooting.
Hi David!

I like the effect of the new variation, but on the background, not on the whole picture - either one. It helps remove some of the distraction of the background from the subject of either picture, the woman especially. But the woman and the flower are too pretty for that broad of an effect. Something more subtle like thin brush strokes might work.

I loaded the version of Painter Essentials that came with the tablet. The tablet we got my daughter is just the basic one - Graphire 4, not the one I'd want to get for photo editing - Intuos 3. The Graphire tablet came with Painter Essentials 2. I'm not very impressed so far. Not much came with it and it doesn't provide for an upgrade to Essentials 3. So, I'm trying to download the latest version. But my firewall is intefering.

I can tell you that I've used the tablet extensively with Photoshop Elements 3 and BibblePro. I like it much better than the mouse, even my laptop touch pad mouse - much more control. The buttons on the pen save lots of clicking and are very intuitive to use. It's also easier on your wrist. But, I'd want to get a larger version if I were going to use it permanently. This one is just a basic 4x6 and I've got a widescreen laptop monitor. I keep running off the edge of the tablet! The Intuos 6x8 version comes with Photoshop Elements 4 and Painter Essentials 3. But it costs more than I want to spend right now when I'm waiting on the K10D. ;D
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
New and improved

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi David!

I like the effect of the new variation, but on the background, not on the whole picture - either one. It helps remove some of the distraction of the background from the subject of either picture, the woman especially. But the woman and the flower are too pretty for that broad of an effect. Something more subtle like thin brush strokes might work.

I am in full agreement on this issue Tracy. I found the painter essentials (3) limited in this respect. However the painter essentials 9 which I downloaded as a trial for 60 days has much more to it thin the essentials 3 and I'm working very hard to get the right ballance. I can't do anything with the background without taking the origional back to photoshopcs2 and doing a mask and removing the entire background which I will do as soon as I learn about Masking. (I haven't gotten that far in the book yet) (LOL) :=))

I loaded the version of Painter Essentials that came with the tablet. The tablet we got my daughter is just the basic one - Graphire 4, not the one I'd want to get for photo editing - Intuos 3. The Graphire tablet came with Painter Essentials 2. I'm not very impressed so far. Not much came with it and it doesn't provide for an upgrade to Essentials 3. So, I'm trying to download the latest version. But my firewall is intefering.

Instead of the Painter Essentials 3 take the Painter Essentials 9.5 trial you will be amazed at the improvements. You will need to turn off the fire wall untill the download is complete, and then turn it back on.

I can tell you that I've used the tablet extensively with Photoshop Elements 3 and BibblePro. I like it much better than the mouse, even my laptop touch pad mouse - much more control. The buttons on the pen save lots of clicking and are very intuitive to use. It's also easier on your wrist. But, I'd want to get a larger version if I were going to use it permanently. This one is just a basic 4x6 and I've got a widescreen laptop monitor. I keep running off the edge of the tablet! The Intuos 6x8 version comes with Photoshop Elements 4 and Painter Essentials 3. But it costs more than I want to spend right now when I'm waiting on the K10D. ;D
I didn't know Wacom had more than one tablet. I can see where you would want the bigger size. I would wonder if you could find the tablet by it's self and then get the software. because Essentials 3 is now upgraded to Essentails 9.5. And that would mean in order to get the newest program you would have to spend more. Man they really know how to get their money.

I will take all you said into account and get back to reading and plawing with Photoshopcs2 and learn to do masks and the magic lasso and all the other neet goodies in the program. and in my spare time I'll learn Painter Essentails 9.5 and thats after 5 days of 15hrs a day at work. i guess it will be awhile untill I get anything done.

Good shooting.