Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Little Man Nate
Posted By: Venturi, 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Wednesday morning at 5:30am my wife woke me and said "I think you're going to be a daddy today." Her water had just broken. Ten hours later her prediction came true and she gave birth to our son, Nathaniel.

Wanted to share two pics and only 2 pics I promise... unless you ask cuz I have about 200 exposures from the first 2 days haha. Both of these were shot with the K10D in Av mode using the FA 50mm f/1.4.

First, the "Miracle Shot", named so because I am amazed at what the K10D metering did. I set up the camera for white balance and guesstimated exposure settings prior to any of the "action" starting, but I didn't take into account that once the delivery got under way they were going to drop an O.R. flood out of the ceiling. The result however turned out to be quite a striking exposure, I think.

Here's the little guy after his first bath, shooting thru the plexiglas crib wall. In hindsight I would have chosen a lower ISO but new dad brain was fixated on f/11 for some reason and I bumped ISO all the way up to 1600 to get a fast enough shutter to compensate for my unsteady hands.

C&C welcome, though I'll likely find it difficult to accept that any shot of my son is less than perfect right now.

Okay, I'm outtie for now. Gotta try and recover from several days of very rewarding sleep deprivation.
Views: 1,009
04-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats ! I love the first shot , very well done in any circumstance.
04-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats Venturi, he's, indeed, perfect!:-).
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very fine! The light in the first is just beautiful!

04-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

congratulations!!!!!!! great shot I wish you and the family well!!!!
04-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the comments and well wishes. I really have to give the camera and lens the biggest props for the first shot though; if there was any glimmer of a doubt in my head about dropping the amount of money I did on equipment this past month it is now officially expunged because those early delivery room shots are absolutely priceless, unrepeatable moments that I wouldn't have without my trusty Pentax - and the nurse who had the presence of mind to thrust the camera into my hands when Nate made his grand entrance.
04-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Congratulations!!!! My boys are 38 and 32, and I can remember both delivery days like it was yesterday. Unfortuantely, I didn't have a Pentax back then.
04-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Congratualtions Venturi to you and your wife. I hope you don't have too much sleep deprivation coming. And just think of how many oppotunities you'll have for shots now First smile, first steps, first day of schoole, first footy game etc. etc. etc. loooool

04-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

That's a great, great first shot ! And congratulations, I also joined the newborn daddy crew on March 19th (he's my 2nd kid, though) !

I'm looking forward to knowing at least one other person will be getting sleepless nights with me haha

Great shot!
04-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #10

Congratulations on that awesome "miracle"!