Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rockford Womans Roller Derby
Posted By: codiac2600, 04-06-2008, 02:37 AM

Such a long day, but so action packed.

Today I had the pleasure of shooting the Rockford Roller Derby. I spent the day meeting and greeting the derby girls and taking in the action.

It was a rough bout as the paramedic came in 3 times this match and even a ref had to be taped up from a fall. It was super exciting and I was the mini photog to pro Tom Holoubek who is has been an area pro for 25 years now. Thanks to him I was able to set up a bunch of cool stuff, walk onto the rink and chat with the people behind the scenes.

The roller derby does this for charity and donates all their money to local people in need. This bout was for the Loves Park Police office which needed donations to upgrade equipment and jail renovations. Many of the polic officers were there enjoying the game and it kept everyone inline... well, not really lol.

I have like a million more pictures on my website at Photography 2.0 - Uconventional - Unrestriced - Unreal- powered by SmugMug so go check them out as they upload!

I decided to shoot a darker style to match the punkish feel I was getting and here are some of my favs from the day.

Signing a face for a fan...

Skating on by...

Just colourful!

Skating at sunset...inside..

YOU!

Fierce...

Out of my way PUNK!

Taking up the rear...

Stylin baby...

OUCH and an autograph from the real photog Tom Holoubek

Tom and son...

Ref laid out...

The pit crew...

Views: 2,256
04-06-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pics!

Those are some TOUGH looking ladies!

Pat
04-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series Chirs - Roller derby making a comeback !
04-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Nice pics!

Those are some TOUGH looking ladies!

Pat
Thanks Pat and they are tougher than me I can tell you that.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great series Chirs - Roller derby making a comeback !
Thanks Dave and it definitely is making a nice comeback and for all the right reasons

04-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You're a braver man than me, I would have been scared to death of disappointing a couple of those girls....like the ref evidently did! lol
04-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
You're a braver man than me, I would have been scared to death of disappointing a couple of those girls....like the ref evidently did! lol
LOL, actually these ladies are the nicest people you'll meet. They are great to be around and ref tripped over himself on that one, but one ref that did get injured got nailed by a flying derby girl and he slid right into a bench shin first.
04-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Result of a helmet to helmet collision...

The dangers of a fall...

PILLOWFIGHT!

The losers takes a seat...

In pain and laid out...
04-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Chris! I especially like "skating by", "the pit crew" and the "helmet to helmet collision" Great expression in the "helmet to helmet" but the other skater. BTW, I went to school at Beloit College, just across the border from Rockford.

NaCl(never thought I'd see Rockford IL here!)H2O

04-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Inactive Account

That is insane! I want to go to a match. I think they have a league here so I'll have to check into it.
04-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Great shots Chris! I especially like "skating by", "the pit crew" and the "helmet to helmet collision" Great expression in the "helmet to helmet" but the other skater. BTW, I went to school at Beloit College, just across the border from Rockford.

NaCl(never thought I'd see Rockford IL here!)H2O
Thanks Salty and you lived near me for while, thats awesome. You should comeback and visit and stop by good ole Rockford and shoot with me for day or two.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
That is insane! I want to go to a match. I think they have a league here so I'll have to check into it.
Lol, thanks Dave and yes you should definitely go out and check out the roller derby it's fantastic.
04-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

great work and as mentioned those are some rough women. Notice I did not say girls in fear of retribution
04-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Your lighting is always great in event photography. I particularly like the shot "taking up the rear". It is probably the starting point of human civilisation
04-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Great event photography! I remember watching roller derby when I was a kid... a part of me smiles to know it's still around.... and, that any one of these ladies could kick the snot outta me! ha!

I really dig the shot of the fallen ref... ya just don't see that so often in other sports!
04-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Thanks Salty and you lived near me for while, thats awesome. You should comeback and visit and stop by good ole Rockford and shoot with me for day or two.
Chris I was there 40 years ago! (39?) can't remember if I left there in early 68 or early 69. I doubt very seriously you were even born yet! I do remember a state park in Rockford...Rock Cut? something like that? We used to go there and er...do what people did in the late '60's

NaCl(I probably wouldn't even recognise the campus!)H2O