Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Stained Beauty
Posted By: KrisK10D, 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM

We have ANZAC Day coming up in Australia soon. You should google that if you're not sure what it is. I needed some shots of the War Memorial in Canberra for a publication so I went down there this weekend to get them. Part of the Memorial is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and that's in the Hall of Memory. I totally fell in love with the stained glass windows in there I had to attempt a shot even without a tripod. Can't believe they came out as good as they have considering they're all hand held.

Southern window depicting personal qualities

Eastern window depicting fighting qualities

Western window depicting social qualities

This is a closer look at the detail in the windows. I think they're amazing personally.

If anyone on the planet thought the shake reduction on the K10D was a gimmick, I'd say they should start baking that humble pie
Views: 3,882
04-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots.

One question/comment, specifically about lighting. It seems that there was a reasonable ambient light inside. I usually can't get the surrounding masonry that bright when I shoot churches in europe.

04-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The light wasn't very good. As soon as I walked in I turned to my friend and told him I'd need a tripod for shots but the car was a ways off. I had the lens open all the way and nearly passed out by breathing deep and slow Take a shot and then zoom in on it as far as I could to check if it was sharp or not.

The surrounding tiles came up a treat with a levels adjustment! God bless Photoshop

As I said, I was very surprised (and excited) that they worked at all. I mean... hand held at 1/10???? I'm truely amazed with this camera... and love the lens to bits

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Very nice photos, I never tire of visting the AWM even though I drive past it on my way to work everyday. I reckon you can spend days in there not just hours.

I was at the AWM last weekend and sighted 3 fellow Pentaxians but no one Canikon
If you saw those Pentaxians before 12 I'd bet one of them was me A mate was showing me around but I had to be back in Sydney by 3pm so we were a bit rushed. Every time I stopped to take a pic he'd click at me to hurry me along. He's lucky he didn't become one of the exhibits

Thanks to everyone who's commented favorably to my shots. I appreciate it.