Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
hong kong hustle
Posted By: zer0sum, 04-06-2008, 06:30 AM

Hey,

Just wanted to post a couple of pics up as they are the first photos I have taken that show a little potential. I am just learning and have just bought a k10d and tamron 18-250mm for travelling around the world. First DSLR, no PP at all and straight jpg from the camera.

Any advice welcomed of course....Can't wait to improve

k10d, tamron 18-250, 48mm focal length, Av mode, F8, 1/4 sec, iso 140.

k10d, tamron 18-250, 78mm focal length, Av mode, F5.6, 1/4 sec, iso 800, +0.5 EV.

Views: 3,574
04-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. These are both very nice shots. You may want to level the first one a bit. I'm sure you will love your new camera and lens. Hope to see more from you here.
04-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice series. #1 is a nice street shot , the neon lights ? and motion blur work well. I love the Bruce Lee statue (least I think it is Bruce Lee?). Travel the world ? Man I am sooooooooooo Jelous .
04-06-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't wait to learn as much as you have, nice shots:-).

04-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am by no means a PP expert, but I did a little editing in the Gimp with #1. All I did was add some saturation, contrast using curves, and some USM. I also rotated to level it. The whole PP thing is still new to me and I still haven't gotten the hang of just yet.....sometimes I overdo it and sometimes I don't do enough.

BTW, both of those are really good shots.
04-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

great to see some HK representation!
i like what maxwell's done to your photo, but overall a very interesting shot!
as for your night photo, i like bruce lee and night cityscapes, but i don't think they combine too well here, perhaps if you took it during the day there would be more contrast with the background ... but just my opinion
04-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I am by no means a PP expert, but I did a little editing in the Gimp with #1. All I did was add some saturation, contrast using curves, and some USM. I also rotated to level it. The whole PP thing is still new to me and I still haven't gotten the hang of just yet.....sometimes I overdo it and sometimes I don't do enough.

BTW, both of those are really good shots.
Thanks for doing some PP. I am stuck travelling with an eeepc, which whilst it is a wicked little laptop is not the best for graphics work. 7" screen is just too hard to work with
Thats another thing I need to learn as well....

cheers

Z

04-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually like the first shot. Bruce Lee's shot doesn't do anything for me.

BUT, you ALL fail to notice the "face" in the building in the background.
04-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Both good shots, Zero. Please, more from Hong Kong! I'm an annual visitor but miss the place when I'm away. I guess you're a local and I'd like to see some familiar stuff but through your eyes. DSLRs have so much more capability than a P&S I don't know that we are ever done learning.
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first shot is by far the better one but the second is interesting as well. I like the soft "Sharp" sign in the background.

JC, I'm missing something. I failed the "ink blot" test with my therapist. I can't see the face, or are you one of those guys that sees images of Jesus in your toast?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-08-2008 at 06:19 AM.
04-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am with Peter. Great work on #1
04-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
JC, I'm missing something. I failed the "ink blot" test with my therapist. I can't see the face or are you one of those guys that sees images of Jesus in your toast?
LOL! I spent at least 5 mins looking for that face yesterday, but was too embarrassed to say that I didn't see it. I did see the Virgin Mary on the parkway this morning though...
04-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Too late now, but the second shot would be 'cool' if it were taken with the camera on a tripod, timed exposure, and use a pen light to brighten up the statue. Something to try next time. The first shot certainly needs to be straightened, but am unconvinced about increasing the saturation. Looks good both ways. I'd go for the more accurate color, looking at the fire hydrant as the reference color. Nice composition, both shots.

Love my EeePC. You're right, not very good at graphics editing due to the screen size. Hook it up to an external monitor and increase the resolution. That way and it becomes pretty useful for most applications. When I get time, I'm going to hack it so that I can put several large USB flash drives internally. After that, I'll probably re-configure to dual boot with XP and Xandros.
04-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #14

Original Poster
Not much I could do on the second shot as it was about 9pm at night and there were a million people around so I basically took this shot over everyones heads.
Add to that the fact I had just finished a heavy gym session and I had a lot of trouble holding the camera still.

I do like the first one a lot more and don't think the second one really worked

G M Fude - I am just visiting for work, but here are some more shots...

04-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The Face...

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
BUT, you ALL fail to notice the "face" in the building in the background.
I see it .... I see it!!!! LOL.... althought I didn't see it until you pointed it out JC.. LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
JC, I'm missing something. I failed the "ink blot" test with my therapist. I can't see the face, or are you one of those guys that sees images of Jesus in your toast?
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
LOL! I spent at least 5 mins looking for that face yesterday, but was too embarrassed to say that I didn't see it. I did see the Virgin Mary on the parkway this morning though...
(giggle, giggle).... look for two green eyes..... see it yet????

QuoteOriginally posted by zer0sum Quote
Nice pics ZerOsum... I really like the one of the statue with the city in the background... Thanks for sharin.. Kim