Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
What the camera saw ...
Lens: Pentax A 50mm F2 + 36mm Macro Tube Camera: K100D 
Posted By: old4570, 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Views: 670
12-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is why I wish I had a macro lens. These are some great images.
12-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No macro lens here : Lens is a Pentax A 50mm F2 ( Here is one on Ebay )

Also to make it macro I have a 36mm Macro Tube .. ( Here and here ) A slight shortage of decent macro tubes ATM ...

Macro Tubes , are an excellent way of getting into Macro as they allow for better than 1:1 if you want ..
I will post a picture of the camera ASAP , its nothing special ...
12-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Macro tubes? I assume you're talking about extension tubes or are they two different things?

12-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Macro Tube / extension tube , pretty much the same thing .. ( I think they are called Macro extension tubes to be more correct )

There are many different types ... You have Macro extension tubes > Their only function is to move the lens away from the body , there by increasing magnification and changing focus ( how far the lens can focus )

Then you have macro adapters , these can be lens specific , as well they most likely offer some sort of multiplier 2x or 3x or some such , there by changing a 50mm lens into a 100mm or 150mm lens ..
I just got a 3x multiplier Macro adapter off ebay a week ago ( net here yet )

I currently own 2 of the 2x adapters ....

Currently the cheapest Macro option ( offering decent results ) is a good 50mm lens and a Macro tube .. If you have a lens , then all you need is the tubes ...

I will say it here and now : IF YOU DONT OWN A ( 100mm F4 ) MACRO LENS ( pentax ) , either the M or A version , save your pennies and buy one soon , because the prices are going up and I have noticed a steady decline in supply of these old lenses ...
These lenses are darn good , and I have seen decent ones this year starting around $80 to $90 ( selling ) , but recently the prices have jumped , as has availability ( gone down )
Maybe next year things will improve ? . but prices have gone up across the board !

M42 ? I have no interest in M42 , I recommend avoiding them for Macro , and I speak from experience ( owning several M42 lenses ) .. Let those who love M42 have them ...
You want a K mount lens ...
Buy that 50mm and 100mm ASAP ...
You dont need f2.8 or lower , Macro is shot around F16 or better ...
And the Pentax A 50mm F2 is a bargain buy ATM , though some would say the bargain is the f1.8 55mm