Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Live on stage 2008 (bar with flash)
Posted By: Duh_Vinci, 04-06-2008, 01:26 PM

I was invited to a local gig last night, shot with these guys before, bud despite the great show, one way or another and misunderstanding on which of the bands was suppose to provide the lighting - there was no stage light at all!!! Just the dim bar light of Hard Times Cafe...

Little disappointed at first, I just enjoyed the company, hard tunes and couple of beers... But toward the end of of the first band set, started thinking of Chris's approach to the bar scenes and techniques he talks about in his video.

Well - not having a remote trigger, I just utilized what I had, bounce and swivel of 540 FGZ with stofen diffuser. I've learned a lot, had a great time and brought home some photos to share.

Chris - huge thanks for the tips in the video, had indeed fun time learning your tips for shooting at the bars!

"Method of Friction" and "Bentt" (exif should be intact)

C&C always welcome!

Regards,
D
Views: 1,866
04-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots D, like the sepia tone and the grain. It gives some good 'edginess' to the shots. Great band photos. I could see some of these inside a CD of the band.

NaCl(like club shots, just wish I had more time to go out)H2O
04-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great series and I love your style. You can totally tell it's your work with the classic dark shadows and boosted grain.

I'm glad the series helped and I know my buddy who shoots bands in town loves to technique and uses it as much as possible.
04-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Top notch! Impressive shots!

04-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey D - the best band shots I've seen recently. What I really dig about these images is their inference that these guys have some chops, can really play and don't just dance around. The picture of the guy with harp and cigarette is terrific and then some.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 04-06-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: old age
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I love the texture that the grain adds to the images. Very, very good stuff.
04-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 2nd last shot is my favorite. Great mood and toning of the images. Quite a class on its own

04-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for taking time to look and comment, much appreciate it!

I really enjoyed learning this new technique with flash (I have flash, mind as well put it to use, right?) In reality - there would be no shots otherwise, even with 50mm f1.4 at 1600 on k100D I had with me - was just way too slow due to having no stage light.

Going so sort out the colors later today, should have few more takes to share. Too bad the first band got nothing while I was thinking - to try or not to try... They had great energy level and great stage presence... Oh well, maybe next time

Regards,
D