Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Werewolves will be out tonight.... (K-3/DA 560)
Lens: HD DA 560mm F5.6 Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Germany ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Heie, 12-15-2013, 01:52 PM

The clouds broke tonight. Hopefully it stays that way tomorrow

Near 100% crop (at least 80%), a bit of sharpening/tone tweaking in Lightroom 4. My remote is on the fritz, so I stabilized the tripod as best I could and then did the 12s self-timer on the K-3.

Name:  IMGP0509.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  65.6 KB

Here's the RAW file in case anyone wants to tinker with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwi4u59k8lqruqe/IMGP0509.DNG

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 12-15-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Views: 3,013
12-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never thought/expected someone here would actually post a shot with the DA 560 lens ... and the K3.

Quite a nice shot !

JP
12-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very good detail in this shot.
12-15-2013, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I took the liberty of downloading your DNGfile and had a little go at it...I`m impressed! I even forgot to apply noise reduction
Have you borrowed this lens? Really anxious to see more of this combo!

For evaluating purposes

LR5:
Exposure +1,02
Whites +34
Blacks -17
Clarity +7
Contrast Normal
Sharpness +25 (std LRsetting)
WB set to 4850
Then exported as TIFF to CS5:
Duplicated layer processed in Topaz Adjust, boosted sharpness and small detail. Applied and flattened image, exported as 8bit jpg.
Allthough some small amount of colorfringing appeared I`m impressed...the amount of detail is awesome!

12-15-2013, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Ooo, thank you very much for sharing that dng! Looks like a great combo! Great lens, great camera!

Hope you don't mind if I post my interpretation

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-23-2017 at 09:04 AM.
12-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot. I will download and check out the original.

Cheers

edit: "ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8". Must have been pretty bright and good seeing for those settings.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-15-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: just a comment.
12-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #7

Great shot!!! I need the Da 560 myself.

12-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a telephoto it does look pretty good. Some green CA going on at the top.
Can you take more shots in up-coming months in better seeing?

Cheers.
12-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it was very bright. Perfect for shooting the moon (and nighttime land navigation through the woods! ), but terrible for looking at the stars

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I never thought/expected someone here would actually post a shot with the DA 560 lens ... and the K3.
That's why I posted the RAW as well

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Have you borrowed this lens? Really anxious to see more of this combo!
No. It's my own copy. The K-3 is borrowed though for the HD 55-300 review.

After the New Year I plan to do the long awaited Sigma 500 vs DA 560 review. Don't hold your breath though - I have a LOT of traveling planned between now and March (mostly for work - 2 weeks in the States at Ft. Bragg, Vienna for the Austrian Officer's Ball, and winter training in Finland are the big three).

For those interested in a long lens and aren't in a hurry, my goal is to get the review out and then sell one of the two (Sigma 500 f/4.5 or Pentax DA 560...95% the Sigma because right off the bat I prefer the weather sealing, DC af motor, and it would be more cost effective to keep the 560) before the Army sends Jenny and I from Germany back to the States for our next assignment. So come around March-ish keep your eye on the marketplace

In the meantime, I will try to get out more and keep shots (and RAW's ) with it coming.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 12-16-2013 at 12:31 AM.
12-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this, Alex. The paucity of DA560 shots is obvious on the forums. Anything we can get will be a bonus.

Jack
12-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
No. It's my own copy. The K-3 is borrowed though for the HD 55-300 review.

Hidden content may not be quoted

After the New Year I plan to do the long awaited Sigma 500 vs DA 560 review. Don't hold your breath though - I have a LOT of traveling planned between now and March (mostly for work - 2 weeks in the States at Ft. Bragg, Vienna for the Austrian Officer's Ball, and winter training in Finland are the big three).

For those interested in a long lens and aren't in a hurry, my goal is to get the review out and then sell one of the two (Sigma 500 f/4.5 or Pentax DA 560...95% the Sigma because right off the bat I prefer the weather sealing, DC af motor, and it would be more cost effective to keep the 560) before the Army sends Jenny and I from Germany back to the States for our next assignment. So come around March-ish keep your eye on the marketplace

In the meantime, I will try to get out more and keep shots (and RAW's ) with it coming.

-Heie
I see, judging by the pics I`ve seen from you I didn`t realize that you were into the big guns photographicly

Well, I can hold my breath. A long prime is on my wishlist for a while now but since the wife and I decided to buy a house in the very near future the plans for a big tele are going into the fridge for now. Maybe things are settled by the time you`re ready to sell and I`ll be interested again. Bamberg isn`t too far away.

PS: Thanks for the like.

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 12-16-2013 at 02:18 AM.
12-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Thanks for this, Alex. The paucity of DA560 shots is obvious on the forums. Anything we can get will be a bonus. Jack
Roger that

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
I see, judging by the pics I`ve seen from you I didn`t realize that you were into the big guns photographicly Well, I can hold my breath. A long prime is on my wishlist for a while now but since the wife and I decided to buy a house in the very near future the plans for a big tele are going into the fridge for now. Maybe things are settled by the time you`re ready to sell and I`ll be interested again. Bamberg isn`t too far away.
Well, it isn't so much the 'big guns' as much as it's another way to spend time outdoors and combine the two (the outdoors + photography). I spend a lot of time hiking (not as much as I used to and should, but I enjoy it), so I have aspirations of wildlife photography. But yes, it is very different from my usual landscape/documentary pursuits.

Maybe the timing will work out But in the meantime, if you ever want a weekend to play with either and also go on a brewery tour (there are 9 breweries within 1.5km of our apartment walking), it's a beautifully charming city that I'm sure your wife will love. Because the getaway would be for her, of course

Lodging is on me since we have an empty guestroom now that my roommate (another soldier) was transferred to Italy and it's just Jenny and I (woohoo for the rent staying the same! )

-Heie
12-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
For a telephoto it does look pretty good. Some green CA going on at the top.
I'm no expert on these things but I read that such colour fringing can be caused by atmosperic conditions too, so I wouldn't rely on moon shots to judge a lens.
12-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Well, it isn't so much the 'big guns' as much as it's another way to spend time outdoors and combine the two (the outdoors + photography). I spend a lot of time hiking (not as much as I used to and should, but I enjoy it), so I have aspirations of wildlife photography. But yes, it is very different from my usual landscape/documentary pursuits.

Maybe the timing will work out But in the meantime, if you ever want a weekend to play with either and also go on a brewery tour (there are 9 breweries within 1.5km of our apartment walking), it's a beautifully charming city that I'm sure your wife will love. Because the getaway would be for her, of course

Lodging is on me since we have an empty guestroom now that my roommate (another soldier) was transferred to Italy and it's just Jenny and I (woohoo for the rent staying the same! )

-Heie
Wow, thank you for you generous offer, Heie! I`ll keep it in mind but usually these months are the most busiest for me.
12-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is the first shot I've seen from the 560. It looks well matched with the K3! Thanks for posting.